SCHUCO UPDATE

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
FenEx

SCHUCO UPDATE

#1 Post by FenEx »

After literally dozens of calls from my office... none have been returned. I average 1-2 calls per week from custmers seeking solutions to product issues.

The conference call I mentioned with Schuco was never followed through with on their part.

I happened to catch and just got off the phone with Richard P., the somewhat recently appointed second in command at Schuco USA and tried to explain the problems that dealers and homeowners are having. He laughed. Let me say it again... He laughed... and stated that he would forward the message.

I made it clear who I am and what I have done, and that many dealers and homeowners have contacted me to find a solution. He laughed again.

For those involved w/ Schuco already (Dealers and consumers), Stay tuned for further opportunities to stop the laughter and get a resolution.

WindowInfo

#2 Post by WindowInfo »

FenEx did he say anything about the situation at all?

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

No... I'm sure that is why he just laughed. I'd guess a BK... or he's just an ignorant fool. I have met him in person, but he has NO authority, just a title. He has broken many promises too. I'm sure he took my call as just another unhappy dealer complaining.

But wait... this dealer happens to give expert testimony and have a spotless reputation to do so. I happen to have direct connection to thousands of Ceritified raters, Government Agency (EPA, DOE, IRS) clearance and approval, AND the ability to test products in the home. HHHmmmm... I only wish the media was interested in energy efficient products and scandals about now.

This will not end well for Schuco... under solar, commercial or other products they decide to market here.
Last edited by FenEx on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WindowInfo

#4 Post by WindowInfo »

Thats terrible. This situation with Schuco is really causing a lot of problems for my company. The fact that no one can get a real answer from them shows that Schuco really doesn't care about us dealers or our customers.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

SOOOOO Glad that I did not start selling their product.

Window-Guy

#6 Post by Window-Guy »

He laughed. Let me say it again... He laughed...
Just what exactly does this moron think is funny about the situation?

FenEx

#7 Post by FenEx »

He laughing because he has nothing personally to lose... and sees me as just one of their smaller dealers. He's laughing because his ignorance makes him believe that being part of a large corporation entitles them to laugh in the face of individuals. I know from the inside that they fear the American legal system... and they should.

I asked him about product failures and units that were promised to be redesigned with solutions. His response was: "They all came with a certified label, so they are approved... must be the installation."

windowrep

#8 Post by windowrep »

I am guessing their will be no shucco samples at the home shows this year? Cleveland show starts tommorrow and I can't wait to see if ther are any dealers still willing to carry them.

WindDoze

#9 Post by WindDoze »

I've sat on the sideline through this one, and let others comment on the Schuco situation. I'm a (now former) Schuco dealer in a large Midwestern market. For the record I also sell Four Seasons Sunrooms.

What Schuco has done to their dealers is flat out unethical, immoral and possibly illegal. To continue to take orders from dealers, who are promoting the Schuco brand heavily, and who have staked their own company reputations on Schcuo; only to hang them out to dry like this is criminal. I for one would have dropped Schuco six months ago had I known their intention was to get out of the vinyl business. They knew this, and wanted the company to look good to a potential buyer -- so they fed us Goebbels like propaganda. (Remember Team Schuco? -- What a bunch of crap!)

My advice to any dealer still working with Schuco -- don't pay them another dime! You are going to need that money to service the windows you've sold down the road. There won't be replacement parts available from Schuco. We're cannibalizing our boneyard and display windows now to get a parts inventory.

As for Four Seasons -- I personally don't believe the deal ever will close. If it does, its only going to be an asset purchase anyway, not a purchase of the whole company. Schuco, TPS, Euro style windows, Al Roker, and the travelling window trailer show are all gone, forever. Four Seasons assumes all of their current sunroom franchises are going to jump into the window business with them. I can tell you, this is one franchise that will be standing pat, at least for the time being. Four Seasons will have to prove that they will vastly improve product quality, delivery time and service over Schuco for an extended period before I ever sell their version of the Four Seasons window.

I know FenEx is extremely frustrated for he has been one of the biggest Schuco advocates on this forum and other venues nationally. Our company has spent well over a million dollars a year promoting the Schuco name. We had a very successful radio campaign last year using the top afternoon drive personality in town -- talking up Schuco windows. These bastards have been planning this, I think for most of 2007. Probably since the day RB was let go! To go forward with the company line that all is well and great -- only to drop the bomb shortly before Christmas? Pitiful!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Yeah, I'm not real happy about the money I have invested in promoting the brand either. It hurts financially to now have to change gears.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Window-Guy

#11 Post by Window-Guy »

He laughing because he has nothing personally to lose...
I do not advocate smearing or personal attacks. But it's time for some names. A lot of these individuals are eventually going to migrate to other companies, and we should all be aware of who they are. Lots of people are going to get bit because of the way Schuco is handling this, consumers, dealers, employees. An organized retreat would have been the more expensive, but honorable way to do this.

Consumers caught in the middle of this have a right to know who was responsible for them buying a product that the manufacturers knew was being phased out for an entire year.

Starts here and works on down the line doesn't it?

Dirk U. Hindrichs, President and CEO of Schüco International KG

Jochen Wilms, Senior Vice President, Schüco International

Edgar Freund, President of Schüco USA

JBechthold

Schuco Going out of busness End User input

#12 Post by JBechthold »

I am an end user, not a Dealer like most on this subject. I spent over 6 month doing detailed research on what brand of replacement window to install in my home. I had visits and quotes from every window mfg within a hundred miles of my home. I spent hours on this site and used the info I gained from many of you very knowledgeable dealers to make my decision. FenEX was one of the biggest advocates of the Schuco windows and as such I sought him out specifically for a quote on my windows. I was very impressed with his knowledge and as such did give him an order for 14 in-line sliders, one awning window and a Wisconsin Slider. I did have to wait for a long time to get my windows and once installed there were numerous problems with the windows that FenEX addressed and he had to make several return trips on his nickel the fix quality problems with the windows. I have had these windows installed for a full winter now and all winter I have had cold air blowing trough the window seals, and now that we have had our first rains of the season, I have been sopping up water that is running in through the seals on two windows on the second floor. I contacted the engineering department at Schuco and asked about this, they told me that they had made a change to the windows and now have a bigger bulb seal that they say needs to be installed in all of my windows and that they will send this to my dealer to install. I spoke to FenEx today on the phone and he told me about the fact that Schuco is getting out of the window business...something that the Schuco engineer failed to mention... FenEx will take care of me on this as I trust him and his professionalism, but from what I can see going to a different bulb seal size is what is considered a defect in workmanship or material and that is what the Schuco lifetime guarantee is supposed to cover. Now what is the definition of lifetime??? Life of the company as a business? or the actual product? I am sure there are thousands of customers like me that bought these windows based on the recommendation of the dealer and the Schuco warranty looking forward to a serviceable window for a very long time.. I will be waiting to see how things work out, but if Schuco is not going to honor their warranty then I believe that there are enough customers to get a really huge class action suit to help them do the right thing... Just look at the class action suit that was just handed down on the makers of airborne.. $23.25 million dollars for customers who paid approx $10 for their product.. What about the thousands of customers who paid $15 THOUSAND dollars or more for windows, and then there are the dealers like you that have to spend thousands of dollars to keep your customers happy and honor your customer commitments.

Anyone else out there as a consumer a bit un-nerved by the announcement of Schuco getting out of the window business??? And I thought that going with a big multi-national company like Schuco was a safer plan than going with one of the Midwest US Window Mfg… strike one for me.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#13 Post by Window4U (IL) »

In my opinion, replacing the bulb weatherstrip on these sliders in not feasible for a dealer to do properly in the field.
I just emailed the heads over at Schuco and asked them to do for you what they did for me on a similar defective job I had once. If they take my advice, you'll have your job corrected. I can't guarantee anything but we'll see...

JBechthold

Schuco windows leaking

#14 Post by JBechthold »

Thanks for the help. I have discussed this with FenEx as I did purchase my windows from him, he told me last Friday that he would check into a solution and get back to me by mid week, no respose so far from him and I am starting to get the feeling I am being jerked around. It is going to rain again tonight and tomorrow and I am sure I will be sopping up water again, just dont know how long I can put up with water running down the wall and into the floor in two roms of my house. Anyone at Schuco you know that would actually give a rip about this and maybe do somthing to help me QUICKLY, or am I going to have to invest in a lawyer to get some action???? I really think the issue here is with WHO is going to pick up the cost to install the new bulb seals... The Schuco warranty that I have right here says they will cover defects in workmanship or materials for the life of the product as long as I own the home... and leaking bub seals is a issue with material.

Thanks

Window-Guy

#15 Post by Window-Guy »

The Schuco warranty that I have right here says they will cover defects in workmanship or materials for the life of the product as long as I own the home
Edgar Freund, President of Schüco USA

This is the person responsible for the situation your in. If it were me, I would do everything possible to make the problem, his problem.