Heartland, Pella, Target, Simonton windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
shthd1234

Heartland, Pella, Target, Simonton windows

#1 Post by shthd1234 »

So far I've checked out all these windows. I'm a first time window shopper for my first home. If anybody could Tell me the ins and outs of any of these windows that would be great. What window would be the better of all would be a great thing to know. Thanks for all your time with this.

buddy110

#2 Post by buddy110 »

Many people here like the simonton. I don't recommend the other windows you mentioned. They are poorly designed and assembled.

If you can find them look at Gorell and Softlite

JScott

#3 Post by JScott »

Buddy is absolutely correct.

justin

#4 Post by justin »

i dont agree. heartland windows weigh more than most, they have leading technology harware, great customer service, triple pane double low-e, woodgrain laminates, and did i mention great customer service. i see todd from heartland more than the rep from the window we sell everyday. soft lite is your run of the mill everyday window.you know good value for the budget minded. simmonton has a crap window, a good window, and a great window, make sure your geting the right one.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

justin wrote:i dont agree. heartland windows weigh more than most, they have leading technology harware, great customer service, triple pane double low-e, woodgrain laminates, and did i mention great customer service. i see todd from heartland more than the rep from the window we sell everyday. soft lite is your run of the mill everyday window.you know good value for the budget minded. simmonton has a crap window, a good window, and a great window, make sure your geting the right one.
Soft-Lite is run of the mill...?

Find me a better air infiltration rating on a window then. :roll:

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#6 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Heartland makes three different windows, their best being the Hartford 712 series. Pluses a .080 master fame made of quality vinyl and a decent air test of .07. Minuses for a start they only offer Intercept and the double hung has a pocket style sill. 50% of the time it works and the other 50% of the time it either dams up the weeps or lets air channel back through the weeps. I like their casements and bows and bays but I don't like Intercept in a premium window. Their customer service is great.
Simonton doesn't make any crap windows. They make a lower middle which can be up-graded to a upper middle.
Softlite used to be just another window, but have up-graded substantially to some of the best numbers in the industry.
Air infiltration and exfiltration are a important number when it comes to comfort and Softlite has gotten pretty low at .01. In the real world I'm sure after a while in the elements it gets much higher but starting that low in test is a good indicator it will out perform most windows.

WindowEDU

#7 Post by WindowEDU »

Another window guy

Have you installed many heartland (survivor) bows and bays???
If so, do they have a complete vinyl cap around the exterior OR do they use caulking in some areas around the exterior of the bows/bays???

Also, do they provide a turnbuckel with chain for support or do they use the steel cable method???

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#8 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

We have installed close to a hundred in the last four or five years. This Heartland window is made in Aplington, Iowa and not called the Survivor. It is a Mikron extrusion, with minimal exterior caulking as Mikron has quite a few profiles to make uo their bows and bays and does come with a cable support. I can recall only two service issues in that same period of time and they were stress cracks which the factory promptly sent me two new glass packs.