Pella 350 vs Okna 800 (What to do?)

For all those Replacement Window questions
Newbie772

Pella 350 vs Okna 800 (What to do?)

#1 Post by Newbie772 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:15 pm

I recently placed an order for four Pella 350 series windows (fin installation) through Lowes, but soon after, I realized the oversized depth of the window was going to be an issue. Prior to ordering, I misunderstood the window depth to be 3 1/4 “, but it turns out only the 4 1/2” depth option is available for fin installation. The 4 1/2 inch depth pretty much rules out 2 inch blinds in my window casings. I could not cancel the order so the windows will be delivered either way. Lowes has come up with a solution to increase the depth in my window casing by furring out the side of the house. “We can cut back the siding tape and seal the opening with flashing, put a 1x4 pvc trim around the opening and install the window on top of the trim. Re-flash the window and then lay another 1x4 PVC trim as originally planned. This will give us another 1” in the house and will have a good seal from water penetration.”

In reading comments on this board and elsewhere, it sounds like the pocket sill design on the 350 is subpar and the sloped sill design of the Okna 800 would be the way to go. I really wish at this point that I had gone with the Okna 800. The Okna 800 is a standard 3 1/4” depth.

I plan on replacing all the windows in my house (8 windows total) eventually. I just wanted to start with four windows to keep the project manageable. The quote for Okna 800 is $8600 and Pella 350 is $10282 for all 8 windows.

My options are to go forward with the Pella 350 with the fix noted above or see if Lowes will allow me to return the four 350 windows. I am not sure what they will charge me for the return. The cost of the windows to Lowes is $1900 and retail cost is $3000 (per the sales guy). I assume Lowes won’t recover much of their loss by selling the returned windows.

If Lowes let’s me out of the deal for $1900, are the Okna 800 series windows enough of an improvement over the 350 series to offset my loss?

I got myself into a mess here. Hoping to get some good opinions from experts. Which option would you chose? Is the Pella 350 window a decent enough choice? Does the fix proposed by Lowes for the 350 series sound like it is structurally sound?

Thanks!

masterext

Re: Pella 350 vs Okna 800 (What to do?)

#2 Post by masterext » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:22 pm

The Okna is MUCH better than the pella 350. It designed much better and its much more air tight. Okna is one of the most efficient windows in the industry. Also, as you said, pella uses an outdated/ cheap sill design. Pella is not a premium vinyl window and it certainly is never recommended by the pro’s here.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:21 am

Why was new construction opted for here as a default? I am not usually a fan of furring out the outside of the home and effectively creating a ripple (speed bump) in the drainage plane.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:33 am

If one is ordering most vinyl offerings with a nailing flange the position of the flange is not flush with the exterior of the face of the frame. When we do an OKNA 800 series with the field applied new construction flanges the interior termination face of the new windows allows for well over a 2" jamb extension or sheetrock (4 9/16" wall) area to stay in place.

I'm not a fan of packing out behind the flange of the new window to obtain more jamb pocket real estate. I think that could look very odd from the exterior not to mention what WOW pointed out.

While I don't do that many projects with Pella these days, I'm lucky enough to have a good Pella store in my area with a really good outside rep to help myself and homeowners dial in all of the details.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:59 pm

I'd agree with the others... YES, the Okna is superior. The fact that they are actually less expensive as quoted in this case is a bonus, and gives you $1700 of credit for whatever Lowes would charge to let you out of it. Even if it was the full $3k, I'd say that you are still in a good spot paying a smallish premium (after accounting for the lower price to start) for the better product.

Newbie772

#6 Post by Newbie772 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks for the responses! To my amazement, Lowes let me out of the deal with a 100% refund! This was a much better outcome than I expected! The quote from the other installer for the Okna 800 windows is certainly very reasonable (8 windows at $8600). However, I also made an appointment with another installer on Monday AM to demo/provide a quote for Sunrise windows. The Sunrise installer offers both the Restoration and Standard series. Any thoughts on Okna 800 vs Sunrise?

My only very minor reservations on the Okna 800 are: (1) the lift handle versus the usual lift rail. I currently have a rail and am not 100% sure a handle would be preferable aesthetically. (2) some have noted the Okna 800 exterior frame is a little busy. What are some aesthetic differences between Okna 800 and Sunrise Restoration and what do you prefer?

If one is better at sound proofing than the other, then that would definitely sway my decision as well.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm

The tighter window will also be better abating sound.

While there are some colonial bevels to the exterior of the 800, they are pretty similar to the Sunrise extrusion once you see it.

Can't go wrong with either. If you like the look of the Sunrise, its a solid window.

Assuming both installation companies are competent, you can go wrong with that line up.