Vytex Fortis, Provia Endure or Simonton Reflections?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Laura

Vytex Fortis, Provia Endure or Simonton Reflections?

#1 Post by Laura »

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time ever replacing all the windows in a house I owned. I plan on living here for another 25 years or longer. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I have bids that are close in price for 13 double hung windows and 7 picture windows. Now I have to decide on Simonton Reflections, ProVia Endure, and Vytex Fortis.

There is one concern I have with the Reflections windows because I read that they have wider frames that take away from the light coming in and I am unsure if the HOA will approve this for my townhouse. Also, I did not see very many reviews on the Fortis windows until I came to this site. Another quote came in for ProVia Aspect but I decided to discard it because it is a step down from the Endure model.

Which one is the best for my townhouse? I want the windows to last a long time.

Thank you for your time,
Laura

Delaware Mike

Re: Vytex Fortis, Provia Endure or Simonton Reflections?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

ProVia by a landslide. I wouldn't shy away from the Aspect for the Endure either. We do both series and Aspect has slimmer sash lines. They share the same glass and energy performance. One can upgrade the Aspect with the Duo-Tech locks, balances, and extruded screen to put it on par with the Endure. I don't tend to do all that though. Sometimes I'll do the lock upgrade. I like the OKNA lines better personally, but they're not available to all regions.

Laura

#3 Post by Laura »

Delaware Mike,

Thank you for your response. It was very helpful.

Laura

Ricknez

#4 Post by Ricknez »

I have to chime in here since I have had experience with them all. The Vytex “ fortis” is probably the best of that bunch.
I use Provia for their doors, not so much for their windows.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I don’t have any experience installing any of those but the feedback on the Fortis is very good. Never seen anyone claim the Pro-Via over the Fortis by a landslide or at all.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Todd, are you still in the field installing? No one wearing a toolbelt has been harder on ProVia then me regarding QC and some of the engineering aspects of their products as me. With that being said, I know the other products mentioned and as finished project regarding energy performance. The current knock on the Endure is sash operation and weatherstripping from sash to jamb reveals. The Endure and Aspects when made correctly, are the tightest windows in regard to sash "slop" to the master frame that I've ever encountered. I can feel the rooms in which I've installed them instantly change on how tight the rooms feel. I'd still choose OKNA everyday of the week.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Indeed I am, I am well aware of your past comments on the Pro-Via and I Usually find your post the most most interesting. I’m more interested in why you would put the Pro-Via over the Fortis in a landslide or at all.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm not 100% sure of the install aspect of the Fortis as I signed up with Vytex many years ago but never actually needed to place an order with them for no real reason. Isn't t that model real similar to the most common model that Window Nation installs? I've been in homes recently looking at some of WN's installs and from what I remember the Fortis is a 2-point weatherstripping sash profile? Kind of looks like a Vision extrusion similar to the Soft-Lite Pro?

You must have heard me yesterday in NJ screaming at the top of my lungs like Shatner in Wrath of Kahn at ProVia lol. Doing a new construction flanged Endure painted black exterior window project with a vinyl siding drop, sheetrock and stool cut back, put back together when the giant camber top foyer window was unboxed we found ProVia didn't paint the bottom of the window at all and sent me bad touch up paint. And there I was in 20-degree weather with some extra OKNA black touch up paint lying on frozen grass before installing the beast, trying to paint the bottom face of the nail fin that fits over the window as is still proud and visible once the new linen vinyl j-channel was installed............... If one can get the product correct, it has so much potential, but the journey to get it there may point one in a sanitarium.

Ricknez

#9 Post by Ricknez »

Vytex “ fortis” is 3 point weather stripping, not 2. Window Nation uses a different window called the “ grand view” but at times will use the Fortis if a customers requests it.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Thanks Ricknez. I was mistaken for the similarities of the Fortis then to the Grand View. I like the ProVia more than Grand View for sure, but I'm not qualified to comment on the Fortis. My apologies.

Ricknez

#11 Post by Ricknez »

Yeah, Grand View is totally different from the vytex “ fortis”.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

The Simonton is not on the same level of performance as the other two.

On paper I believe the Fortis and Provia are similar, although the the feedback that I've seen on the Fortis has been better overall, DM's thoughts not withstanding ( I have not personally installed the Vytex based on regional availability).

Personally I've not had a great experience with Provia windows (great doors though), and I think that there are other better performing, more proven products on the market in that segment. Most of the higher end window products are uniquely designed and engineered, the Provia is a "template chassis" used by several others... other's not particularly highly regarded even if they do a better job of assembly.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We have been dinking around with Vytex as an alternative window, using the Potomac HP.
I hate being single sourced in anyone product.

theWindowNerd

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

The very best version of the various "template chassis" by deceuninck unfortunately died out with the fall of a terrible window manufacturer "Thermal Industries." They didn't make it 2-months into the Covid lockdown before shutting down. They had a version similar to ProVia's with better quality locks and tilts. They used much better weatherstripping also. The exterior screen track bottom extrusion tie-in to the utility groove made more sense for capping and caulking. Cardinal Neat Clean glass, black stainless Intercept. I wish someone would grab that platform and buy it out from whoever owns it. The fact that duceuninck hasn't figured out American vertical sliders and how to make an interlock that doesn't have peel and stick fuzzy pads is a weak link too.