Okay help with window brands

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
reneehsm

Okay help with window brands

#1 Post by reneehsm »

Hello all I have been researching and asking questions here and there and have come to find out that all windows are not created equal.

And I have read a few things that concern me about vinyl replacement windows and not sure if we should even attempt to change them out with replacement windows or not now.

But if we choose not to do this it will be a long time and possible never to get the windows changed cause we have to have restuccoing done which on top of windows would cost asstronomical I am sure.

So I am wondering if you all can point me in the right direction for good quality windows at affordable prices. Also some that we could get the same of for a while so that we could do a few at a time and still be able to get the same to mate later.

Also I wanted to ask about leaking windows and double pain fogging up.
Does this have to do with quality of window in general and or how well they are put in?
I am hoping it does as I have read some horror stories of people with problems.

Have any of you used one of the DVDs or video tapes that you can buy out there to replace your windows?
And if so how did it go?

I am pretty sure we could do it but we diffenently need more help and info before we would even consider tackling it.

Look forward to hearing back from some of you.
Thanks renee

mman

#2 Post by mman »

I would suggest hiring a liscensed and bonded professional to do the job. Preferrably with an AAMA certifiaction. If you have stucco siding, I would suggest a Milgard Z-Bar window, or also called a stucco flange window. You can purchase these one at a time, depending on where you buy them. Look at Milgard.com to find any answers to your questions and I hope this helps in your search.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

The only downfall to DIY window installations is doing the little things that aren't usually found in the videos. Certain window styles require different installation methods that most DIYers are unaware of. Like proper shimming methods, cutting back house wrap, proper taping (or flashing to others) around the nail fin and a host of others. The biggest concern would be dealing with a stucco exterior. If the walls aren't prepped properly and the windows aren't installed properly, you'll have moisture issues. I agree with Mman on hiring professionals to do your installation. If something goes wrong down the road they'll carry the burden of repairs, not you!

Good Luck!!!

JoeBeck408

#4 Post by JoeBeck408 »

If you're going to do it yourself don't go wth Milgard. Those guys love to come out, point at an improper installation issue, and inform you your "lifetime" warranty is now void. Any way to get out of a little work. Good luck!

mman

#5 Post by mman »

Now Now, I wouldn't go around spreading rumors about a topic you obviously know nothing about. Milgard has been offering the lifetime warranty since 1988 and WILL honor it, even in many inproperly applied instances once or twice, but if it is a reoccuring problem with the same contractor, Milgard has to take a stance and say enough is enough. If you have had a personal run in with this problem, to no avail, I would suggest talking to the areas loacal territory manager and get the problem taken care of rather than spreading false truths.