Schuco vs American Jewel vs Simonton

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nationals fan

#1 Post by nationals fan »

Need help from the experts out there. I live in the DC area and am looking to replace 15 windows. I've gotten quotes for Schuco Corona, Simonton Reflections 5500, Certainteed Bryn Mawr and American Jewel. The Schuco quote was $4000 more than the others (though much less than the Pella quote we got).

Our top concerns are (1) getting good windows that will last a long time and (2) getting windows that won't look cheap or out of place on our 1950s cape cod style house.

How would you rank these different windows? Does anyone have experience or opinions on the American Jewel? Are there other top vinyl windows I should consider? What would be a good choice for styling options, such as on the hardware (though I didn't like the Pella price, I liked the options they offered on hardware, screens and grills)?

Lastly, any recommendations for top installers in my area? Thanks for considering my questions.

windowmannjny

#2 Post by windowmannjny »

i would not even consider American Jewel, unless they were free,wait a minute.....no, not even if they were free, schuco and simonton are good quality, certainteed i am not a big fan of, are you looking at double or triple pane? the price of good quality window will almost always be more than you expect. sorry i dont know any installers in the D.C. area

nationals fan

#3 Post by nationals fan »

Thanks for the reply. We were looking for double pane, but honestly, that was just because I wasn't sure whether we would need triple pane. Is the difference from double to triple enough so that we should consider them? The Schuco estimate was for triple pane because the estimator said they were running a sale -- triple pane for the price of double.

What about the American Jewel did you not like? Given your strong reaction, I'm glad I asked. I saw the Simontons referred to on another post here as a good mid-price option. Are there high end vinyls? The only one I've seen referred to in the discussion board is Schuco.

Thanks again.

reggieb14

#4 Post by reggieb14 »

nationals fan,

I am in the process of doing a similar job in the DC area (29 double hung windows), and have looked at some of the same lines you listed. The brands I have gathered quotes for are:
- Simonton (through Home Depot), avg unit price ($651)
- Vytex Heritage, avg unit price ($491)
- Schuco, avg unit price ($629)
- American Jewel, avg unit price ($380)
- Andersen Renewal, avg unit price ($959)

All prices quoted are the installed price, and all but the Schuco are double pane, argon filled w/ low e coating (the Schuco is a triple pane, argon and krypton filled w/ low e coating; I assume that is the Corona 4000 that I have read about).

I came out of all of the presentations thinking that the Schuco was the best window for the money.

Lastly, if you don't mind, can you tell me who you got a quote from for Schuco windows? I would definitely like to compare the price.

Thanks.

nationals fan

Schuco vs. American Jewel vs. Simonton

#5 Post by nationals fan »

Reggie,

I also got my Schuco quote from The Window Man and it came in at about the same per window. My American Jewel quote was also about the same as yours. I got a Simonton quote of $450 per window (Reflections 5500) from Central Roofing and Siding in Rockville.

I had earlier gotten a Pella quote of about $900 per window, and a Comfortline (fiberglass) quote of $850 per window. I couldn't justify how much higher these prices were over the vinyl options.

reggieb14

#6 Post by reggieb14 »

I will have to visit Central Roofing and Siding a call. That is a good price on the Simonton, but then again Home Depot could be marking their windows up a lot.

Just curious, was your quote from the Window Man higher or lower? I'm just trying to see how consistent they are with pricing.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

Depot does mark up their window quite a bit; you can see that you do much better with pricing from an independent Simonton dealer. I have heard from customer’s posting here that the Depot rep will tell them that Simonton is producing a superior product for Depot built to Depot specifications. There is no truth to that if you take a Reflections 5500 and add Super Spacer that window is now superior to the Depot 6500.

I had handled American Jewel Windows 10 to 15 years ago and at that time they were making a better window called the Series IV. They discontinued that window and replaced it with the thin framed window they are currently selling in order to offer a less expensive product. I went looking for a new supplier.

Bill

cjw1510

Schuco & The Window Man

#8 Post by cjw1510 »

I am also looking at Schuco, Simonton, and also Softlight. I went to the Window Man after seeing such great comments here (, I hate to be cynical but.... could someone from the WIndow Man actually be posting these great comments)
I got similar pricing for the Schuco - they are running a 3-pane for the price of 2 special. The higher end Softlight was the same price as teh Schuco. They didn't have Simonton.

reggieb14

Re: Schuco & The Window Man

#9 Post by reggieb14 »

cjw1510 wrote:I am also looking at Schuco, Simonton, and also Softlight. I went to the Window Man after seeing such great comments here (, I hate to be cynical but.... could someone from the WIndow Man actually be posting these great comments)
I got similar pricing for the Schuco - they are running a 3-pane for the price of 2 special. The higher end Softlight was the same price as teh Schuco. They didn't have Simonton.
LOL! No, I don't think anyone from The Window Man is posting here. I also went to the shop and was impressed with the Schuco. I was able to talk to another vendor (who originally offered me the Vytex Heritage) and he said the Schuco is a very good window and that it lives up to the hype. I am definitely going with the Schuco, but have to pick the vendor. Currently seeing if the vendor I mentioned above can beat The Window Man's price. I will keep you all posted.

novice

DC area dealer/installer reference needed

#10 Post by novice »

Hi,
I am about to replace a few windows and two sliding doors in my house in Maryland and I have read a lot of good comments about Schuco windows on this forum.
DC area homeowners, what is your experience with local Schuco dealers or installers? I’ve seen a couple of positive posts about a dealer in FairFax. Have the installation gone smoothly? Any service comments so far?

Also, are Schuco doors as good as the windows?

Thanks. Alex.