Good window for Minneapolis area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Kimmer

Good window for Minneapolis area

#1 Post by Kimmer »

I just started researching window replacements for my house in Eagan, MN and would like to get opinions on high quality windows or installers in the area.

We have seven windows to replace:
2 - 62" x 43"
1 - 62" x 53"
3 - 62" x 36"
1 - ~ 36" x 24"
All of these windows are sliders, which is really all we can replace them with due to various factors.

We already spoke with a Schuco rep (Seal Guard locally) and Renewal by Andersen.

Schuco quoted us ~$10,500 for triple plane inserts with krypton gas, two low-e coats. These weren't full replacements, just inserts. Anderson came in at ~ $9,500. These were also full replacement windows, not just inserts. Each was quoted for basic white siding.

I am also meeting with a Simonton rep on Thursday.

If anyone could give me good references in the area, comments on the quotes I received or give further recommendations on other windows I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

WindDoze

#2 Post by WindDoze »

Kimmer

The Schuco quote you got is awfully high. If you liked the Schuco window (and why wouldn't you) there are other options in Minneapolis. If you Google Schuco in Minneapolis you'll find an answer. :wink:

Also you should use the "Request a Quote" button on the top of this site. It would support the administrator of the forum.

Kimmer

#3 Post by Kimmer »

I was wondering about the "other" Schuco dealer in Minneapolis ;). The sales rep from Seal Guard didn't have the most flattering things to say about them, however. Basically he was trying to say that Seal Guard has been installing Schuco windows much longer and Renaissance was having trouble initially with the installs as they were less experienced.

I think I'll give them a call though and see what they have to say.

I'll also be sure to select the request a quote button. Thanks for the input.

WindDoze

#4 Post by WindDoze »

Kimmer wrote:Basically he was trying to say that Seal Guard has been installing Schuco windows much longer and Renaissance was having trouble initially with the installs as they were less experienced.
Sounds to me like they might be afraid of their competition... :roll:

ppj

#5 Post by ppj »

You might want to check with the Better Business Burea and see what it says about any companies you may be interested in.

It is a consumer report group that will tell you how many complaints the companies may have.

Obviously if a company has a lot of complaints, that's not good. A company with fewer complaints, might be more desirable.

You can also check Angie's List too.

Obviously, no matter who you choose, or what product you choose, it's only as good as the installation as the people above said.

Kimmer

#6 Post by Kimmer »

I've already checked the BBB. I'm also going to check references and look at at least one actual job to see the quality. Other than that, not sure what else I can do.

Guy

#7 Post by Guy »

Kimmer the other Schuco distributor in the Twin Cities is Renaissance Exteriors (763-463-0624 - Tom). They are a stand-up bunch of guys who'll take care of you much better than Sealguard will. Give them a shout!

Curtis T.

Seal Guard Systems

#8 Post by Curtis T. »

I had a very bad experience with Seal Guard Systems. I wish someone would have cautioned me about them before I made my decision to go with them. It would have saved me thousands of dollars. Unfortunately, I learned about Sealguard too late and have regretted it ever since.

Good Luck.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

ppj wrote:Obviously if a company has a lot of complaints, that's not good. A company with fewer complaints, might be more desirable.
No true. Even the BBB will tell you that the number of complaints against a company is not a good yardstick to use. Larger companies naturally will generate more complaints simply because they deal with a greater number of people.

Would you feel more comfortable dealing with a company that has been in business for over 30 years, has 8 "resolved" in complaints in the last 3 years but installed over 3000 jobs in that timeframe or a company that started in business 2 years ago, has only installed 50 jobs and has generated 4 complaints, with 2 unresolved?

The nature of the complaints and the company's willingness to resolve them is by far more important than the actual number of complaints. You should also be aware that just because a homeowner files a BBB complaint, doesn't mean it was a valid complaint.

Recently, the BBB in this area has started logging complaints from people who didn't even purchase a product. They just didn't like the salesman.