UPDATE: Local Window Installer Estimates

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TNHomeowner

UPDATE: Local Window Installer Estimates

#1 Post by TNHomeowner »

Hello!

In my last topic, I wrote about my estimates for Company 1 and Company 2. I now have an update and would like some opinions.

As I mentioned in my first post, for Company 1, the owner came to our house, did the measurements, talked to us about his company, and recommended the Alside Excalibur because of its Energy Star status and good warranty. The next day, we received the written estimate, along with information about his company and his windows. For 5 Alside Excalibur windows (with grids) and replacement of a piece of rotten wood, the estimate was $2200. I later contacted him to ask about Simonton (he said he could get other windows and had installed Simonton - I'm not sure which ones - before); these would be about $2500. Since we are both underpaid instructors, we need to be careful about our window budget, so we would likely go with the Alside with this company.

Company 2's salesman came by and took the measurements of our windows. He then returned to the warehouse to see if, since we had standard sizes, they had any remainder/misorder windows that could be used. We visited the showroom and warehouse today. We also met the installer, who seemed nice and knowledgable (and licensed, bonded and insured!) and mentioned that he insulates a lot. The windows would cost "little," but I know nothing about the brand: Moss (1735, I believe). They are single-hung (we currently have single-hung aluminum) and would cost between $63 and $75 each because they would like to move them out of the warehouse. The problem is that two of the windows are a bit shorter than our current windows, so the installer (who does construction) would have to build it up with wood jambs or drywall. I still don't have the complete price, though, because the installer must come out to inspect, make sure the windows will work, double-check the measures, etc. I suspect that, due to the window cost, we would be spending a lot less.

Our main concerns involve the age of our windows and the ability to keep out cold weather. We are interested in energy-saving, though I believe any new window would help us with this. Like I said, we definitely need to be careful with cost, as this is our first home, and we are not wealthy.

My questions are:
1. Can anyone tell me anything about Moss windows?
2. What should I be sure to ask when this installer visits my home?
3. How can I check on the reputation of this installer?
4. Should I look elsewhere or for other brands?

Thank you!

Skydawggy

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

TNHomeowner

?

#3 Post by TNHomeowner »

Skydawggy wrote:#4
Why do you think #4, Skydawggy?

fhi windows

#4 Post by fhi windows »

#5. None of the above.

Either go with the first company or shop. Installing the wrong size window in order to save a few dollars on material is just wrong.