Labor Warrenty

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
OkieDokieRick

Labor Warrenty

#1 Post by OkieDokieRick »

I'm confused about the labor warrenty. Pictured in my mind is two warrenties--a manufacturers warrenty on the window, and a labor warrenty from the distributor/installer/contractor. I've had two installers measure and price, and both told me that Simonton covered everything. One said he would write (if I wanted) on his contract that the labor would be covered for a certain number of years, but he was sluffing it off as unimportant.

Just wondering if a separate labor warrently is necessary, and if so, what details should be on it, or how it should be written.

Thanks. Rick

Scott1q1

#2 Post by Scott1q1 »

I think you are correct, Simonton only covers manufacturing defects and glass breakage.

You may want to shop around some more, in your place I would feel like the company should specifically address this and I should feel comfortable with their program without me having to make a big deal out of it.

Don't get too hung up on a written warranty, its only as good as the company it comes from..a good company will look after the job regardless. If a guy has been in business for two years does a five year labor warranty really mean anything?

Door&WindowPlus

#3 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Most companies in California only offer a 1 year installation warranty. Each state is different. Some states need a separate warranty document from the company. Getting someone to write in Lifetime Warranty is not going to hold up in court. Windows will leak not in the first year but in years 3-5. Make sure you get a 5+ year installation warranty that is separate from the manufacturers warranty. It is true that a warranty is only as good as the company. So visit the showroom and visit homes of installations and try to get some phone numbers and talk to customers. I always tell people to get a phone number of someone that had a problem and the company fixed it. If a company or salesman says this stuff doesnt matter look elsewhere.