Got a quote on replacement windows Fair ?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
vicki

Got a quote on replacement windows Fair ?

#1 Post by vicki »

Received a quote on DH Gorrell 5300 series windows $625 a piece installed. Was looking for something a little bit more moderately priced. Any suggestions on something more reasonable. I have 13 windows in Central Pa.

Delaware Mike

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

That may be a really good price. I've recently shopped most of my competitors and have found that virtually none of them are even starting their basic white vinyl DH replacements with capping for under $700.00 an opening. Many of these outfits are selling products far below the 5300 level of quality.

To get in the $500-$600 range you might be looking at a private contractor type of install. Most of those guys will be even less, but good luck finding a good one with any experience with decent windows.

ionrgod

Re: Got a quote on replacement windows Fair ?

#3 Post by ionrgod »

For 600 you are guaranteed to replace them again i less than 10 years. They have metal spacers and metal is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! highly conductive. when the argon gas in the windows expand and contract it will cauolse the gas to leak out and you'll be back to square one. If you only want to do it once, go for a company that has a lifetime window with no clauses in the warantee and is going to offer you a 40 or higher energy pledge. READ THE WARRANTY CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE WINDOS WILL COST YOU BETWEEN 800 TO 1000 but you will never have to replace them again and the savings on your wnwrgy bill wil be outta sight and letterally pay for themselves.

uote="vicki"]Received a quote on DH Gorrell 5300 series windows $625 a piece installed. Was looking for something a little bit more moderately priced. Any suggestions on something more reasonable. I have 13 windows in Central Pa.[/quote]

gardenpartyfish

Re: Got a quote on replacement windows Fair ?

#4 Post by gardenpartyfish »

vicki wrote:Received a quote on DH Gorrell 5300 series windows $625 a piece installed. Was looking for something a little bit more moderately priced. Any suggestions on something more reasonable. I have 13 windows in Central Pa.
Ok price...but if that includes capping and disposal then it's a great price. Check out the Simonton 5500. Gorell and Simonton are both good performers. Great Value.

If you are looking for a $300-$350 window installed then contact a Silverline Dealer BUT remember this may be a 5 year window max!
Last edited by gardenpartyfish on Mon May 12, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

So if the window cost 800-1000...that means its good...?

Schucks, here I was doing all this research and stuff.

I am sorry but I am sure people will take what they read on here with a grain of salt but your post is horrible.

Metal spacers being "HORRIBLE"...? Looks like more than half of the market is using horrible stuff then. Also, where did he say that he was using a metal spacer and not an upgraded non-metallic spacer?

Energy pledge :roll: Give me a break. Savings on energy bills paying for the windows...?

Seriously, stop while you are ahead. You have ZERO factual information in your post. I am not normally one to criticize, but ZERO does mean zero in this case.

buddy110

#6 Post by buddy110 »

I have to agree with WOW. Metal is not a "horrible" spacer and 800-1,000.
insures nothing. That's nopt to say good windows can't cost that much, they can.

Gorrel does offer a Inex, non metalic spacer which lowers the overall U value to .17. That would be a steal at $600.00. All in all Gorrel makes very good stuff.