new windows in nebraska

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
krazykids3

new windows in nebraska

#1 Post by krazykids3 »

I am looking for new windows. I have had schuco and pella out for an estimate.

I have 30 double hung windows that consist of :

4-23x42
2-39x58
2-38x58
3-34x58
2-35x60
3-23x70
2-35x70
1-34x70
3-27x70
1-22x42
1-22x34
2-22x70
4-23x42
1-half round 70 wide 35 high

Schuco estimate was 21,000 triple pane vinyl 4000 ( worried about future work if needed)
Pella estimate was 36,000 triple pane architect (quite a difference in price)

I am trying to fine some other estimates on some good quality windows. No one sells simonton 9800 that I could find. I tried a gorell rep. but repeated calls to voice mail and a visit to a store front(that was closed mid day) have not amounted to anything.

Any suggestions on other windows. I would like triple pane since I face west.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

insiderinfo

#2 Post by insiderinfo »

Run as fast as you can from Schuco. The latest word on the street is that the deal with Four Seasons feel through and they are in new talks to sell the company to someone else. An inside source said that if they did not sell by a certain date they would liquidate the assets. I also heard from one of their current customers (contractor) that the plant was only operating two days a week now due to lack of orders.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would certainly defer to anything but Schuco for the time being until they resolve their ownership transfer and everything shakes out in the wash.

insiderinfo

#4 Post by insiderinfo »

I heard this morning from a Schuco dealer, that Edgar had called from the plant yesterday. Edgar told him that Schuco was sending out a notice this week that their attempts to sell the business failed. They will be shutting the vinyl plant down either in June or July, permanently.

krazykids3

#5 Post by krazykids3 »

That is what I was worried about. Do you have any recommendations for other windows. I tried to find simonton9800 in my area but nobody seems to carry that model. And the Gorrell dealer never called or was in their store. (another worry). Not real sold on Pella. I guess I will need to do more research.
Thank you for all the great information.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

krazykids3 wrote:That is what I was worried about. Do you have any recommendations for other windows. I tried to find simonton9800 in my area but nobody seems to carry that model. And the Gorrell dealer never called or was in their store. (another worry). Not real sold on Pella. I guess I will need to do more research.
Thank you for all the great information.
If they carry Simonton, they should have access to the 9800 or the equivalent.

The Polar Wall, by Norandex Reynolds, is the same window with the 1" glass pack and krypton.

krazykids3

#7 Post by krazykids3 »

The company that sold the Schucos now is selling Soft-lite Inperial LS. They are going to figure a price for me. He said it would probably be a little more than the Schuco bid of 21,000. I am wanting the triple pane with the ppg spacer in order to compare apples to apples with the gorells.

In the meantime, I have gotten a bid from gorell for the 5300 with Thermal master III which was 22,500. I was surprised the gorells were more than Schucos. I will wait and see about Soft-lines.

I have read alot on this board about windows, my mind is on overload. Are there any pros or cons between these two windows?

Thank again for all your help with this huge decision.

insiderinfo

#8 Post by insiderinfo »

Based strictly on published performance figures, the Imperial LS should out perform the Gorell window in both energy performance and durability.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

insiderinfo wrote:Based strictly on published performance figures, the Imperial LS should out perform the Gorell window in both energy performance and durability.
+1

krazykids3

#10 Post by krazykids3 »

Well. I have gotten a bid for the Imperial LS which is 21,500 with the ultra triple argon glass option. I found a dealer for the Imperial Elements, trying to decide if I should get a bid from them. I know someone posted the bainbridge and barrington are pretty much the same window, it is just aesthetics. Is there that much of a difference between the LS and the Element? The salesman for the LS said the krypton is price has risen quite a bit and said the Ls with krypton was substantially more. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The gorrell salesman called and told me that he would be able to lower his bid (after "talking to gorrell ") to 20,000.

Is soft-lite worth the 1500?

Thank you for the advise, you are a great source of knowledge in this difficult and confusing decision.

Also, I am getting conflicting info on the need for tempered glass. I have several windows that are 12 inches above the carpet some are telling me I need tempered glass and some say I don't. My understanding is that they have to be 18 inches above the floor AND larger thatn 9 sq ft . I have some big windows some are mulled together but none have glass that are more than 9sq ft . Am I correct or not.

gardenpartyfish

#11 Post by gardenpartyfish »

krazykids3 wrote:Well. I have gotten a bid for the Imperial LS which is 21,500 with the ultra triple argon glass option. I found a dealer for the Imperial Elements, trying to decide if I should get a bid from them. I know someone posted the bainbridge and barrington are pretty much the same window, it is just aesthetics. Is there that much of a difference between the LS and the Element? The salesman for the LS said the krypton is price has risen quite a bit and said the Ls with krypton was substantially more. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The gorrell salesman called and told me that he would be able to lower his bid (after "talking to gorrell ") to 20,000.

Thank you for the advise, you are a great source of knowledge in this difficult and confusing decision.

Also, I am getting conflicting info on the need for tempered glass. I have several windows that are 12 inches above the carpet some are telling me I need tempered glass and some say I don't. My understanding is that they have to be 18 inches above the floor AND larger thatn 9 sq ft . I have some big windows some are mulled together but none have glass that are more than 9sq ft . Am I correct or not.

You need to check with your local building inspector. Some municipalities let you choose between Tempered and Laminated. I personally like dual pane with Laminated Glass.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

krazykids3 wrote:Well. I have gotten a bid for the Imperial LS which is 21,500 with the ultra triple argon glass option. I found a dealer for the Imperial Elements, trying to decide if I should get a bid from them. I know someone posted the bainbridge and barrington are pretty much the same window, it is just aesthetics. Is there that much of a difference between the LS and the Element? The salesman for the LS said the krypton is price has risen quite a bit and said the Ls with krypton was substantially more. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Your local codes may supersede the International Building code, however, the window would typically have to be below 18" off of the floor and larger than 9 sq/ft. That means that any one section needs to be larger than 9 sq/ft...i.e. the lower sash of a double hung by itself needs to be greater than 9 sq/ft.

krazykids3

#13 Post by krazykids3 »

I want to thank you for all your help with deciphering all those windows and options out there. It has helped to weed out the window selection.

I had gotten bids for gorell thermal master III (20,000), Imperial LS triple ultra(21,500) and Elements triple(21,800). From what I read, the numbers are better on the Elements and for the difference in price, I am leaning toward them.

Also, found out I don't need tempered glass the one salesman said I needed. Thank you for guiding me on how to find out.

I will keep you posted on the process and the end result.