What is a good quote for Central Florida

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
my357magnum

What is a good quote for Central Florida

#1 Post by my357magnum »

Hi All,
I have 13 windows that need to be replaced, from 24" wide up to 70" wide.

I have gotten several quotes already, the lowest for Silverline and the Highest for some extremely expensive Vinyl windows called "Magic Glass" (from what the salesman told me).

A lot of people here say the best bang for the buck is something along the lines of the Simonton 5500 or 9800 , the Alside Sheffield, and the Soft-Lite Barrington or Element/Imperial LT.

I realize I won't be able to get accurate estimates for replacing the windows via a forum, but I don't even have a basic understanding of where the prices begin per window.

I'd like some help trying to get some price comparisons for the brands I listed.

I don't want to replace my existing windows with silverline windows for $4k if they are not going to be any better than my existing windows, and a certainly don't want to spend 20k for windows...

Thanks

my357magnum

#2 Post by my357magnum »

By no means to I want to get the windows and labor for free, I want the installer to make money too, however I don't want to get ripped off in the process. Seems like everyone says their windows are the best, wether they are Silverline or PGT windows. The problem i've come across is that I cannot get the prices for the windows directly from Simonton distributors without being a certified general contractor.

I think $100 for demolition and labor for installation is a fair price per window, but if the window costs $150 and they want to charge $400 to do the job then I'll know they are trying to rip me off, in response I won't do business with them.

Thanks again

my357magnum

#3 Post by my357magnum »

i just hope i can get some fair estimates

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

my357magnum wrote:By no means to I want to get the windows and labor for free, I want the installer to make money too, however I don't want to get ripped off in the process. Seems like everyone says their windows are the best, wether they are Silverline or PGT windows. The problem i've come across is that I cannot get the prices for the windows directly from Simonton distributors without being a certified general contractor.

I think $100 for demolition and labor for installation is a fair price per window, but if the window costs $150 and they want to charge $400 to do the job then I'll know they are trying to rip me off, in response I won't do business with them.

Thanks again
Your numbers would only work in a vacuum....i.e devoid of any other cost contributors.

Operating a business requires a bunch of carrying costs and overhead. Insurance, rent, phone, fuel, taxes, payroll, vehicles, consumables, etc. The list goes on and on.

Using your math of $150 (window cost) + $100 (labor) = less than $400 or you are getting ripped off is an oversimplified model.

Does a contractor not have a right to make a profit? Of course he does. We are in business to be able to stay in business. What about materials related to the job like caulking, foam, coil stock, fasteners, tools, saw blades, wear and tear on expensive tools like brakes and power tools.

gardenpartyfish

Re: What is a good quote for Central Florida

#5 Post by gardenpartyfish »

my357magnum wrote:Hi All,
I have 13 windows that need to be replaced, from 24" wide up to 70" wide.

I have gotten several quotes already, the lowest for Silverline and the Highest for some extremely expensive Vinyl windows called "Magic Glass" (from what the salesman told me).

A lot of people here say the best bang for the buck is something along the lines of the Simonton 5500 or 9800 , the Alside Sheffield, and the Soft-Lite Barrington or Element/Imperial LT.

I realize I won't be able to get accurate estimates for replacing the windows via a forum, but I don't even have a basic understanding of where the prices begin per window.

I'd like some help trying to get some price comparisons for the brands I listed.

I don't want to replace my existing windows with silverline windows for $4k if they are not going to be any better than my existing windows, and a certainly don't want to spend 20k for windows...

Thanks
Hmm....let's try this again.
I am not a contractor but the info below is from a few friends of mine who install vinyl and wood windows in N.E PA Area.

..... One company I found is in Ashley, PA called Economy Lumber Co. right next to Wilkes-Barre and their ad in the paper shop last month listed their vinyl double hung replacement windows as $99 as opposed to Lowe's average of about $150 for a standard window. There is also a company I have looked at near Mt. Pocono called ABC Supply that sells windows for $135 for standard size in stock windows and I believe they are very good windows although I would definitely research these prices before giving an accurate estimate. The removal and replacement of the windows I would put at $75 a piece with a charge for dumping the old windows and frames. The exterior capping of the new windows with aluminum or PVC would probably run about $75 a window including materials and the interior trimming at about $20 per window plus the cost of the materials, as I have no idea what type of trim you plan to use but figure on about $20 or $25 for standard clamshell trim per window. Most companies like mine will charge a 20%-38% handling fee for getting the materials and most like myself would prefer to get them to ensure a good fit. The dumping fee for the amount of windows you are talking about would be around $100 . Another factor that goes into pricing windows is whether or not they are 2nd and 3rd floor installs. This should pretty much put you in the $375.00 to $550.00 range per window. Considering the amount of windows you want replaced, you will probably get a break on the contractors profit margin. 12 windows at $450.00 is $5400.00 and 16 at that rate is $6000.00.

**BTW---I'd look into the Simonton 5500's or 9800's and only look at the Silverline's if you are staying less than five years in your current home.