Install: What's the RIGHT answer?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Lowell

Install: What's the RIGHT answer?

#1 Post by Lowell »

I currently have a home that was built in 1961 making it nearly 50 years old. It has the old aluminum framed single pane windows which need replacing. I’ve been told of vinyl retro-fit as well as nail on fin fit windows. I have lap siding and it seems to cause a bit of confusion. I am not getting the same opinion from contractor to contractor regarding the best application and how best to fit them to my current framing needs or window style or siding. One wants to pull out all the aluminum framing and another wants to just remove part of it and slide another window in. Some talk about having to cut back my lap siding to fit them and some talk about cutting back my lap siding and putting a 3 ¾” frame around the window. Some want to use ¾” thick frame and others say 1 ¾” thick as in 2” x 4” frame. Can you tell where to go for the right information. Do I utilize 1” x 4” window frame or 2” x 4” or no frame? What do I do with my shutters? Should I use vinyl retro fits or nail on fin fit? What is the best application for my ¾” thick lap siding? And what do I look for in making sure the job is done properly and with quality? HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Scott1q1

#2 Post by Scott1q1 »

The best way to do this is to cut back your siding, anywhere from 2 inches to 6 inches depending on the trim style on the rest of your house. If the house has brickmold around the doors/other trim areas plan to put brickmold around the windows, lots of 1x4 then plan to use that.

Wether you use 1x4 or 2x4 depends on the current siding, just pick the thickness that looks nice ie you want your trim to come out past your siding a little bit (keep in mind any future plans, if you may reside and add insulation in the next few years use you don't want to have to rewrap the windows to make it look right).

When the old aluminum frame is pulled out basically you have no flashing and need to make sure the new window will not leak. Leaving it in also has negatives: unless you have unusually thick walls you will have next to no jamb/sill left on the interior, many times the old frame will cover the new windows weep holes at the bottom exterior letting water leak into your wall, also the old frame can complicate wrapping the window in aluminum trim.

At minimum you need a new drip cap above the window going up under your existing siding and out over your new window trim. You need the siding cut back and a trim board next to it that can be wrapped and caulked neatly. You need a window with an exterior accessory groove to receive the new aluminum trim wrap, although a window with a nailing fin would be better.

Your type of install is a small percentage of the total and falls through the cracks alot of times, sometimes installers are not given the proper materials/instructions to do the job so it will last.

Also people hate to give installation advice especially on something tricky because everyone loves to be a critic lol.

gardenpartyfish

Re: Install: What's the RIGHT answer?

#3 Post by gardenpartyfish »

Lowell wrote:I currently have a home that was built in 1961 making it nearly 50 years old. It has the old aluminum framed single pane windows which need replacing. I’ve been told of vinyl retro-fit as well as nail on fin fit windows. I have lap siding and it seems to cause a bit of confusion. I am not getting the same opinion from contractor to contractor regarding the best application and how best to fit them to my current framing needs or window style or siding. One wants to pull out all the aluminum framing and another wants to just remove part of it and slide another window in. Some talk about having to cut back my lap siding to fit them and some talk about cutting back my lap siding and putting a 3 ¾” frame around the window. Some want to use ¾” thick frame and others say 1 ¾” thick as in 2” x 4” frame. Can you tell where to go for the right information. Do I utilize 1” x 4” window frame or 2” x 4” or no frame? What do I do with my shutters? Should I use vinyl retro fits or nail on fin fit? What is the best application for my ¾” thick lap siding? And what do I look for in making sure the job is done properly and with quality? HELP!!!!!!!!!!

My first house was a 1968 bi-level and the windows were alum sing pane leaky mildew/mold pieces of .....

I had numerous contractors with all type of "creative" ideas. The one I choose was to leave the siding alone and cut out the alum window frame with a Sawzall. Then, remove the marble sill and build a wooden box from Oak, set, plumb and level then install the windows. Of course cap outside with Alum or PVC. Windows are working very well 12 years later...A close relative bought my house. So I get to see the windows many times during the year.