Newbie - Picture Windows - Wisconsin

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Crazzzcat

Newbie - Picture Windows - Wisconsin

#1 Post by Crazzzcat »

I am looking to replace 3 large (60" * 48") picture windows in my living room. As well, beneath the window, there used to be wooden vents which have been covered but which I intend to open up and have awning windows with screens put in. They are 60*24 or so.

I'm just starting and have received 2 estimates that vary considerably. One dealer has me in Republic Enhancements for ~$10K for the 3 pictures and the 3 awnings. Based on what I have read today, that sounds pretty high. The salesman did a nice job of pitching a 2 pane heat mirror window with krypton but I really am not sure what that is worth?

Another contractor is delivering a complete quote tomorrow but estimated $3500 over the phone for the same job. I haven't had a chance to understand the details of the windows proposed.

I intend to replace the remaining windows in my home as well, so I'm looking for a brand and contractor that can take me through all of this reliably over time.

Any advice on what brands I should be looking for as I start? From what I have read, the follow seem to be worth considering:
Simonton
Soft-Lite
Gorell

Any others I should be looking for? I've also see Alside, Ideal Windows and Surise mentioned.

I'm concerned about the window size and the obviously pretty frigid weather here (any issues to watch withthe above?), but I also can't afford to break the bank. Any brand, model, dealer or otherwise advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
The Cat
Last edited by Crazzzcat on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazzzcat

Help!

#2 Post by Crazzzcat »

Any thoughts from anyone? I'll keep updating this as I continue my search, but I could really use some advice, especially on brand/value for windows this size in a cold weather climate.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#3 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Three-Four thousand should take care of things for you. Woodgrain interiors and some trim work could put you a little over that mark. The Republic guy is nuts and the other brands your looking at all would be very adequate.

Crazzzcat

Update - Andersen

#4 Post by Crazzzcat »

Thanks so much for the feedback. The Republic dealer is definitely out of the picture. They are very high pressure sales, so it will be fun to hear their reaction when I tell them their pricing is nuts.

I received an updated quote from Andersen Renewal. That rep presented the following differences in opinion/quote:

1. He suggested not putting awning windows in underneath the picture windows and rather, to put a large "slider" (i.e. 2 windows that can slide in front of each other horizontally) in each over both the existing picture window and the awning area. His suggestion was based on the fact that the awnings would end up being very low and would do little to circulate air, and also that, given the width, we would need to have 2 awning windows underneath each picture window (i.e. big increase in price). These would not be double-hung - i.e. they would have a screen on the entire opening and the windows could also be completely removed to just leave the screen if we chose.

2. His pitch was that wood/vinyl composite windows would be higher quality that the vinyl-only windows that other people are selling given the way vinyl expands/contracts in different temperatures. He said the wood/vinyl composite that Andersen sells will result in less twisting on the window over time.

3. His quote is $4300 to put in the 3 slider windows in (he broke out $750 within that cost to remove the existing wooden vents and wood that covers them up).

4. To do our whole house (those 3 plus 7 double hungs, 1 additional large picture window) he quoted us right around $10K

5. Glass would be double pane, argon filled. He said that based on quality issues with heat mirrors and the fact that we want the "solar heat" from the sun to come in during the winter, we'd be better off with that versus 2 pane with heat mirrors or 3 pane.

I felt like he was giving me good advice on the sliders (hot air rises, so if I'm trying to get a cool breeze in, bringing it in low isn't going to work, is it?), but I'm not sure about the composite wood versus vinyl or the price. I also haven't seen much positive about Andersen on here. Also curious as to thoughts on his opinion that given our cold winter climate, it's better to have 2 pane gas-filled, nothing beyond.

This is quite a journey, thanks for any help you can provide.

My next steps are to go to Angie's list and see what quality contractors I can find that would sell those other 3 brands mentioned prior to compare quotes and perspectives.

Window-Guy

#5 Post by Window-Guy »

I received an updated quote from Andersen Renewal. That rep presented the following differences in opinion/quote:
It just goes on and on and on with this product.
His pitch was that wood/vinyl composite windows would be higher quality that the vinyl-only windows that other people are selling given the way vinyl expands/contracts in different temperatures. He said the wood/vinyl composite that Andersen sells will result in less twisting on the window over time.
This statement right here should end any thoughts of purchasing the Renewal product. The entire marketing of this product is based upon grossly exaggerating the qualities of the “composite” i.e. epoxy and sawdust material it’s made out of, and just flat out lying about the inherent qualities of vinyl.

Everyone’s out there to sell their product; I get that. But this has been going on since this product was introduced and I think its pathetic that Anderson continues, and encourages this cheap marketing trick.

This window is no better than a good vinyl window; never was and never will be.

Crazzzcat

Andersen Composite

#6 Post by Crazzzcat »

Is it worse than a vinyl window or about the same?

Window-Guy

#7 Post by Window-Guy »

Certainly better than the Silverline’s Andersen sells (you might want to ask your Renewal salesman about those), but certainly worse than the top half dozen vinyl product lines out there.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#8 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Have you considered making each window combo a oriel style double hung, both sashes tilt in to clean and operate like a typical double hung and maintain a comparable look from the outside. Cost wise you'll stay around $3000.00, but it won't be as tight as a awning with a fixed unit over it.
Heartland is an ok window but I prefer the Lindsay, same extrusion but with a sloped sill and super spacer and both available in Wisconsin. Thermal Industries has yet to make a window that does anything for me and I have not seen the vinyl Quaker makes.
The Renewal is improving each year but still is a drafty window, so I definitely wouldn't use their sliders. Sliders BTW are the draftiest of windows. When you start looking at the upper shelf, Renewal isn't there, but their price is.
You should be able to get what you need in a quality product for less than $4000.00