ARE WINDOWS WITH ARGON GAS BETWEEN PANES

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fangelo

ARE WINDOWS WITH ARGON GAS BETWEEN PANES

#1 Post by fangelo »

Are windows with Argon Gas between the panes essential. I have been offered replacement windows that do not have Argon Gas between the panes at a lower price. I am told that in hot San Diego CA climate Argon does not make a difference as in a colder climate. Help someone please.

Windows on Washington

Re: ARE WINDOWS WITH ARGON GAS BETWEEN PANES

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

fangelo wrote:Are windows with Argon Gas between the panes essential. I have been offered replacement windows that do not have Argon Gas between the panes at a lower price. I am told that in hot San Diego CA climate Argon does not make a difference as in a colder climate. Help someone please.
Argon adds about 20% to the insulating value of the glass.

gardenpartyfish

#3 Post by gardenpartyfish »

fangelo wrote:Are windows with Argon Gas between the panes essential. I have been offered replacement windows that do not have Argon Gas between the panes at a lower price. I am told that in hot San Diego CA climate Argon does not make a difference as in a colder climate. Help someone please.

Essential? No.....but worth the bump in cost. Krypton does even a better insulating job than Argon. Solarban, HeatMirror, SHGC(lower the better) are things you should also look into.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#4 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

I think argon does help even in San Diego. Cardinal says the argon they put in their glass pack stays in longer.

website
www.cardinalcorp.com/data/tsb/ig/IG02.pdf

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

Let me guess. You were told the argon gas would leak out eventually anyway? Often this is the reason given when the manuf. of a window does a poor job of sealing their IG units and doesn't want to be responsible for gas leaking.

Keep in mind that if the temperature outside is 85 degrees even at night that the outer piece of glass is likely close to the same temp.The reason argon and krypton gas is important is it helps prevent the transfer of radiant heat across the space between the 2 panes of glass.

What brand of window were they trying to sell you?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would never recommend someone selecting Argon as an option without Low-e. That is plain foolish.

I do still think that if a person is getting replacement windows, they should get the most efficient window that they can. In most cases, that will included a window with argon or some sort of other inert gas fill.

The 20% efficiency increase that I mentioned is when comparing a window with Low-e argon to a window with just Low-e. Not clear glass comparison.