Alside 8000 series

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
thewman

Alside 8000 series

#1 Post by thewman »

I've searched the archives. I see several Alside but not the 8000 series. I am looking at them. Casement style, with triple pane and Low E2. Anyone have thoughts?

List price they are about 1250 each. We are getting a better discount with various things bringing them down a lot cheaper.

I've got renewal by Anderson coming out later today. I will probably take a look at regular Anderson.

Just curious as to folks thoughts.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

thewman wrote:
I've got renewal by Anderson coming out later today.
Get ready for........ vinyl bashing time!Image
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Sat May 10, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Window-Guy

#3 Post by Window-Guy »

Get ready for........ vinyl bashing time!
Yup, you won’t be 30 minutes into it with him before he starts expounding on how vinyl windows warp and wilt in the sun. Of course right around that time you could ask him about the inherent energy and strength qualities of windows made from waste saw dust and epoxy.

gardenpartyfish

Re: Alside 8000 series

#4 Post by gardenpartyfish »

thewman wrote:I've searched the archives. I see several Alside but not the 8000 series. I am looking at them. Casement style, with triple pane and Low E2. Anyone have thoughts?

List price they are about 1250 each. We are getting a better discount with various things bringing them down a lot cheaper.

I've got renewal by Anderson coming out later today. I will probably take a look at regular Anderson.

Just curious as to folks thoughts.

>>I've got renewal by Anderson coming out later today.<<

Way overpriced windows!

thewman

#5 Post by thewman »

So is the vinyl bashing true? Do they warp and twist over time? I want a set of windows that will last with time. I'm curious how Alside 8000 are? They say they are made of PVC instead of just vinyl. Apex is giving me a promotion on them to use my house as a marketing house with significant savings. So it made the Renewal Anderson's way more expensive.

Thoughts?

shamu

#6 Post by shamu »

I specifically don't know about the Alside casement, but in general most manufacturers casement products are their best performing. The vinyl is thicker and usually reinforced to support the weight of the sash vent and hardware. Most use either Truth or Roto hinges and operators. Most manufacturers use extrusions supplied by one of several different companies that design the window and extrude the vinyl so the difference between one to the other is not much. Installation is very important for casement windows so that they operate properly. More so than DH windows. I would get other quotes simply because they told you that theirs are PVC and not "just vinyl", and also about using your home for marketing to justify how much they are saving you.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#7 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

thewman. the 8000 series from Alside is reserved for a select group of dealers, pretty much like their Preservation series which is reserved for their largest dealers. Both the 8000 and the Preservation are dressed up Sheffield's with options included that are not available on the regular line of Sheffields. They are not the calibur of window that should be priced near $1200. Divide that by two and your closer to reality.
PVC (poly vinyl cloride) is the most widely used term for vinyl windows and more recently UPVC the U standing for unplastised. Vinyl compounds vary in quality and some companies claim they use special additives that retard the forces of nature more than others. Bottom line here is their are quite a few very good vinyl windows, Alside is not my favorite but not because it isn't decent but because I don't like their bulk. Shopping and comparing features and quality of the install is a bit of a task but well worth it in the end.
Renewal, ahh. There is no end to their deceit and false claims and overpriced product, that doesn't perform particularly well. Thank goodness for the Internet.

thewman

#8 Post by thewman »

Absolutely. Thanks for the good information. I think with all the research and from replies here we will go with a more traditional Anderson or Pella.

Thanks