Anyone heard of Improveit! Home Remodeling?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DSSwonsob

Anyone heard of Improveit! Home Remodeling?

#1 Post by DSSwonsob »

I just had a salesperson from Improveit! out to my house to give me an estimate. After 3 hours of his sales pitch I was given a "special price" of $11,000 for the 9 windows they would replace. There are 2 large windows (approx. 108x60 and 78x60) but the rest are roughly 48x60. 11k seems like a ridiculous price as that's more than $1000/window and everything I read on the web seems to price vinyl windows anywhere from $150 to $800.

The windows themselves seem nice but what do I know?

Does this sound like they're trying to give the shaft? Does anyone know this company and/or who makes the windows for them? Are they really THAT good? Any information/help/advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Anyone heard of Improveit! Home Remodeling?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

We would need more information on your home and windows current in the openings.

Are they wood, metal, etc.

Are you sure of the sizes? Typically window sizes are given in width and then height.

Are there grids, etc? 11K for 9 windows is probably excessive to say the least. Combine that with the 3 hour presentation and I would say they were probably trying to hose you.

DSSwonsob

#3 Post by DSSwonsob »

Sorry. I was quite a bit off. That's what I get for posting my message from the office.

My house has old aluminum double pane windows in the following sizes:

84x48
60x48
48x48
48x48
48x36
48x36
36x40
36x40
36x36

The new windows would all be vinyl double-pane, double-hung sliders that can "tilt" in with low-e, argon, "SolarTech Glass" (supposedly blocks the heat in the summer and lets it in in the winter), and no grids. The vinyl is supposed to have an additive to keep it from turning yellow, I don't remember what. It also comes with a lifetime warranty that covers everything, including labor and a free yearly inspection. Did I miss anything?

The company seems reputable and the windows look to be "premium" windows, to my untrained eye, but the price just seems out of line to me. Any more thoughts?

Oh, I forgot to mention the price includes $750 to replace the window sills with wood ones. I doubt I'd have them do that.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

DSSwonsob wrote:Sorry. I was quite a bit off. That's what I get for posting my message from the office.

My house has old aluminum double pane windows in the following sizes:

84x48
60x48
48x48
48x48
48x36
48x36
36x40
36x40
36x36

The new windows would all be vinyl double-pane, double-hung sliders that can "tilt" in with low-e, argon, "SolarTech Glass" (supposedly blocks the heat in the summer and lets it in in the winter), and no grids. The vinyl is supposed to have an additive to keep it from turning yellow, I don't remember what. It also comes with a lifetime warranty that covers everything, including labor and a free yearly inspection. Did I miss anything?

The company seems reputable and the windows look to be "premium" windows, to my untrained eye, but the price just seems out of line to me. Any more thoughts?

Oh, I forgot to mention the price includes $750 to replace the window sills with wood ones. I doubt I'd have them do that.
This is more than 9 windows if you are getting all Double Hung. I count as many as 16 based on the sizes you posted. Subtracting $750 leaves $10250/16 windows =$640 per window. Other factors that could affect the cost would be how much additional work would be involved to prepare the openings. I don't know what window you are seeing but if it's a high quality window and my assumptions are correct, then I don't think that price is necessarily out of line.

DSSwonsob

#5 Post by DSSwonsob »

I'm confused. How did you get 16 windows? Are you counting each piece of moving glass as a window? Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure the salesperson ever used the word double-hung. He always said slider.

Here's a link to their webpage:

http://www.improveitusa.com/products/wi ... iders.aspx

There's not a lot of information there but I thought I'd point you to it.

By the way, I don't believe the salesperson added any extra labor costs for preparing the openings as he seemed to be getting his prices off of a size/price sheet.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

DSSwonsob wrote:I'm confused. How did you get 16 windows? Are you counting each piece of moving glass as a window? Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure the salesperson ever used the word double-hung. He always said slider.

Here's a link to their webpage:

http://www.improveitusa.com/products/wi ... iders.aspx

There's not a lot of information there but I thought I'd point you to it.

By the way, I don't believe the salesperson added any extra labor costs for preparing the openings as he seemed to be getting his prices off of a size/price sheet.

You need to figure out exactly what the price includes. When you say "Double Hung Sliders that can tilt" it is unclear whether you mean a horizonal or vertical slider. Most vertical sliders (double hung) tilt in and most horizonal sliders don't.

When you state an opening size of 84x48 using Double-hung , it is most likely the contractor is going to install (3) 28x48 double hung windows into that opening. When you state an opening size of 48x48 it is likely there will be (2) 24x48 double hung windows. Since you are very hazy on what you are actually buying, I was just pointing out it could posssibly be 16 windows installed into 9 openings.

There is almost always an upcharge for installing a new vinyl window into an opening that had a metal window in it previously. A common reason is that the old window depth is likely less than the new window and there is some cutting involved. Of course I'm assuming they plan on doing a top notch job. The window rep may or may not have just included it into the total price.

As I said before you need to find out exactly what you are buying and what is involved in the installation. I'd insist on knowing the manuf. model number, overall unit U factor, air infiltration rates ( horizonal sliders are the worst) Solar heat Gain Coefficiency etc. If the company is unwilling to be forthcoming with this information, then keep on shopping.

If the quote was for horizonal sliders, I'd want to know what type of wheels they use and if they are "in-line" sliders. I'd be very cautious of tilt in horizonal sliders as many companys have had problems with water infiltration. Non-tilt generally seal better.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

As Sky is getting at, two totally different animals potentially.

Replacing all those openings with Double Hungs would be costly.

If they are just going with 2-Lite double or single sliders, that number is a bit high IMHO.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

I'll also add that I'd have some misgivings about installing an 84x48 2 section horizonal tilt-in slider. If horizonal sliders are indeed what you have been looking at, then I'd recommmend this opening have a 3 section slider installed.

DSSwonsob

#9 Post by DSSwonsob »

Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate your patience with me. As you can tell, I'm not very window savvy but I'm learning.

The windows should all be horizontal sliders that swing in - not tilt (sorry for misleading information). I assumed that because he said both window sections could swing in that it meant they were double hung.

I know in my 84x48 window I have 3 sections currently and have just 2 sections would be awfully large so I'll have to talk to them about that.

Probably my biggest frustration with all of this has been my lack of solid information. When the salesperson left my house, he didn't leave me any information except his business card. No brochures, not even a copy of the quote. They'll keep that on file for me... Gee, thanks. If you've visited their website, you'll notice a major lack of information, although that seems to be SOP among window websites.

I'm going to have them come back out next week to talk to me some more and hopefully they can answer some of the questions you've given me. I'll be asking about the manufacturers model number, overall unit U factor (not just the window), air infiltration rates, solar heat gain coefficient, what type of wheels they use and if they are inline sliders. Is there anything else I should ask about?

windowrep

#10 Post by windowrep »

This is what I have a hard time with. You complain about a three hour sales pitch and have no idea how many windows you are getting or what style they are. You had three hours to ask questions and get details on a huge investment for your house.
note to potential window buyers.....You have sales people come into your home representing a company. ASK QUESTIONS...That is your time as a homeowner to get yourself informed. If the salesperson is not answering your questions or listening to you, politely ask them to leave. I swear I must ask the homeowner a couple dozens times before I leave if I have answered all their questions.
Make sure you are well aware of all the facts including all the small details.
The reason some companies do not leave a quote with you is they do not want you to shop it around. They have just made it impossible for you to compare apples to apples. and they force you to call them back and at this point can either tell you how superior their window is or how inferior your other quote is. Calculated sales approach. Bad sales practices in my opinion but it is successful sometimes. If you choose too have the salesperson back out again ASK questions.
Demand answers backed with some written clarification and be sure you fully understand everything.
good luck