Simonton vs. Anlin in Bay Area, CA

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rsn

Simonton vs. Anlin in Bay Area, CA

#1 Post by rsn »

I live in an eichler-style home (I think it's technically a macke), and I've received a few quotes for window replacement. I think it's come down to Anlin vs. Simonton, and one key issue (that at least one of the companies raised) is that I have some large picture windows (60" X 60"), and a pretty narrow frame (about 3.5") that the windows will be going in. The company that is pushing anlin (the catalina line) mentioned that anlin's frame would be better able to support the weight of the window than the simonton (7300 series).

Does anyone have any thoughts with respect to this?

Thanks in advance...

Skydawggy

Re: Simonton vs. Anlin in Bay Area, CA

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Their claim is ridiculous. Is the Anlin salesman actually claiming that Simonton, one of the largest window manufacturers with a national reputation for consistent quality, makes a window that cannot be supported by it's own frame. 60x60 is a pretty small picture window. The 7300 series is available with a width of 120" with a transferrable lifetime warranty.
Last edited by Skydawggy on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#3 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

I would go with the Simonton. Anlin I think is a good window but their warranty is not very good when compared to other manufacturers like Simonton, Milgard and even Amerimax backs up their window better.
Anlin window warranty has only 10 years labor and 20 years parts with no glass breakage.
Simonton and Milgard Tuscany is lifetime labor and parts and glass breakage.
Amerimax is 20 years labor with glass breakage.

Does anyone know why Anlin have such a weak warranty? It's a good window but then why not warranty that way? 10 years labor is a joke in California.

E-Z

#4 Post by E-Z »

I agree that claim is ridiculous. I would be more concerned with their blue printer measuring for the new windows correctly. Eikler style homes with large walls of glass tend to get out of square something terrible and accounting for this is imperative. Other wise they will have to chisel those 4x4 (3.5") support beams and then weight support would be an issue.

E-z

rsn

#5 Post by rsn »

Thankfully, we don't actually have walls of glass, just a series of large windows next to each other (60x60 picture windows alternating with 24x60 casement windows). I will try to ensure that the measurement measures the full window correctly when it is done.

E-Z, it looks like you are in the bay area. Do you have any experience or knowledge about bay area window pros?

Thanks in advance.

E-Z

#6 Post by E-Z »

RSN I have been installing windows for going on 9 years installing windows and doors and on my own with E-z Windows going on 5 yrs. I cannot personally recommend off-hand anybody but i'd be more than glad to be of any help and answer any questions you may have. This board is full of pro's willing to help.

E-z

rsn

#7 Post by rsn »

Thanks E-Z, I appreciate your response. The question I had about simonton vs. anlin was answered reasonably well; I think I'll go with the simonton. I only asked about the install company just because that is the last unknown in the process, but we did get some references that seemed to be good.

Thanks again.

E-Z

#8 Post by E-Z »

You may have done this already but maybe now that u narrowed what brand of window you will go with now it may be a good idea to price 2 other Simonton Dealers in your area.(if you havent done so already) that way you'll get the most for your money provided they check out. The Simonton website should have some listings of a Dealer near you. My 2 cents.

Good Luck

Door&WindowPlus

#9 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I would go with Simonton.

Michael2159

#10 Post by Michael2159 »

I just finished acquiring quotes on replacement windows. I have six windows, two slider doors, and an entry door. The Simonton quote came in at just over $10,000 without the entry door. The Anlin quote came in at $8,000 with the entry door. Anlin provides a lifetime warranty on parts and labor (including glass breakage), despite contrary statements from previous postings. I'm going with the Anlin.