Top window slides down when bottom window open, is this norm

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
davep

Top window slides down when bottom window open, is this norm

#1 Post by davep »

I have vinyl double hung windows. When we leave the bottom window open, when we go to close it and lock the windows, we cannot lock because the top window has slid down about 1/2 inch. So we always have to push up the top window to lock it. Is this normal for vinyl windows? I never had it happen to me in previous houses, yet my contractor is trying to convince me there is nothing wrong.

Windows on Washington

Re: Top window slides down when bottom window open, is this norm

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is not uncommon, however, it is not correct either.

The balance system (spring, coil, etc.) is not functioning properly. There are typically ways to adjust this without removing the balance system and if you contract is familiar with the windows, he should be able to tune them up properly.

suziebr

#3 Post by suziebr »

One of my windows does that too, but it's also 18 yrs. old. Time for a new window, the pulley system is shot. I'm in the process of getting replacement windows and a slider in my condo on Cape Cod. Have a quote for Eclipse windows (based out of NJ). A friend of a friend owns her own window business for the past 6 yrs. and swears they are the best around. I've never heard of them, and am trying to get info on them. Good luck to you.

E-Z

#4 Post by E-Z »

A lot of the times the coil springs balancing the window need adjustment to make it tighter but sometimes they have not been shimmed correctly at the middle of the windows. a way to check is to measure from interior top jamb,middle jamb and bottom jamb. The measurement should be the same if the middle is bowed that means that is not shimmed right and the sashes tend to have that drop.