Superior windows vs. Anlin windows price difference

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
medle

Superior windows vs. Anlin windows price difference

#1 Post by medle »

Hi,
I am moving in to a house that was built in 1976. The windows are thin glass with metal frames. We are currently in the process of getting free in home estimates for vinyl windows. We recently got two quotes. One contractor offered Anlin windows and the other contractor was offering Superior windows. We have 9 windows with 3 slider doors. We live in southern california so the weather isn't too cold, however we do want to be energy efficient.
Anyway, the Anlin windows guys told us the total would be 23,600 dollars and the superior windows came out to be 9300 dollars. Why is there such a big price difference???
Is Superior windows just not that good?? When I looked at the windows it seemed very similar to me. I do have to admit that the Anlin windows did look nicer but I wouldn't say that it looked 10,000 dollars worth nicer...
Also, the Superior windows warranty was much better which puzzles me. Superior windows offered lifetime warranty on every thing but Anlin wouldn't cover glass break.
If you know anything about Superior windows let me know. I am leaning towards Superior but I don't want to buy something in low quality.
Thanks.

Skydawggy

Re: Superior windows vs. Anlin windows price difference

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Do your metal windows have metal pans?

What type of construction is your house?

medle

#3 Post by medle »

what do you mean by what type of construction?? Do you mean by how they are going to install the windows? it is going to be retro fit.

The current metal frames are the regular metal frames. I am not sure what you mean by metal pans... please explain :wink:

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Are the sills and the inside jambs metal, wood, drywall or something else?

Is your house brick, cinder block, stucco, frame-up or something else?

I'm asking because these factors can greatly affect the cost of installation.

medle

#5 Post by medle »

yes, the frames are all metal inside.

The house is stucco.

why should there be such a price difference if both of them are going in retro ??

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

If your windows and sliding doors aren't unusual sizes. then I'd have to agree the Anlin price seems pretty high. Can't really tell you much about the Superior windows but their pricing seems more inline with what I'd expect. Perhaps you should get a couple of more estimates just to give yourself a little wider perspective.

medle

#7 Post by medle »

thanks for the advice.

I will get more estimates...

Door&WindowPlus

#8 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I am im the Los Angeles area and see estimates that vary greatly. I quoted a 20 window job and the difference from high to low was $8,000. The company that offered the lowest didn't even have a contractors license. It seems some companies need the jobs more than others. In this economy it is always better to get more estimates. Don't fall for the pricing games salesman try to pull. Check references and check BBB and contractors license and insurance information.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#9 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

Ask for references. I would recommend getting 10 references from each company you get an estimate from. Call 3 to 5 to get a vibe about the company. If a company says they don't give out phone numbers move on. Any good company has plenty of people that will take a few minutes to talk about their windows and their experience. Most good companies can give you a list right on the spot. Companies that don't have good customer service usually make excuses and tell you they will get them for you and never do. Ask for references that have had issues and problems. You get to see how a company handles problems. I have never met a company with no problems ever. If the company says everyones happy it is usually not true. Problems that can occur: grids come wrong, windows wrong sizes, glass breaks before or during installation, window not window brand that was ordered. Customer service is probably the most over looked aspect of buying windows. Everyone looks at the window and the company installation. If there is a problem how will it be handled. Installation company or manufacturer?

Superior is a good window. The price difference is way too big. I would go with Superior for sure.
Superior has two lines: Ultima and Deluxe Ultimate is the better line.

Door&WindowPlus

#10 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Superior is a good vinyl windows. Price differences are part of the window shopping experience. Difference in price is mostly manufacturer, installation and salesman commission. Superior spends no money on marketing. Superior seems to run alot of specials for their windows. The service for Superior is some of the best in Southern California. Superior is main plant located in Ontario, CA and Anlin is in northern california. Superior has a new screen that is standard on its windows and doors. The screen has finer mesh so you really don't see it. Also comes with a extruded lift handle.

I would get a few more quotes for both window manufacturers.