Needing help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dwknjh6

Needing help

#1 Post by dwknjh6 »

Ok...I finally settle on Polaris Thermaweld windows. I'm getting ready to start installing them myself and I've got some questions. First the simple ones(or at least I hope so).

Each window came with a small strip of vinyl(similar to whats ont he bottom of screen door, just thicker and not as flexible) that looks like it slides in at the bottom of the window. I'm assuming that where it goes because it would appear to cover the angled window seal. If this is not correct, would someone please enlighten me.

Second, should I have some sort of spacer system for the top. I would swear that the windows will be about a half an inch to short, but I had the dealer come and measure them. I can always put a peice of trim outside around the top if it is to short, but that would be a pain. Or does the strip I referred to at first make a difference in the height??

And last, the windows have 3 pre-drilled holes on the outside of the frame. On the inside of the window, I only have access to the bottom holes. They are pre drilled all the way thru and have a place for the head to be countersunk. The middle and top screw do not unless its under the track somewhere, but I don't think that these could be took aprt in any way. Any suggestions or help would be great.

Windows on Washington

Re: Needing help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bottom piece is called "sill-angle" and is designed to do just what you said. Cover the gap between the angled sill and the straight window.

Second piece is called a header expander and it designed to allow the installer a bit of play on the height to get the window into place.

Last question about the pre-drilled holes requires you removing the balance covers on the side of the window. They pop out quite easily and pop right back in.