Soft-Lite? Okna?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dpcat

Soft-Lite? Okna?

#1 Post by dpcat »

I'm trying to decide between the Soft-Lite Bainbridge (w/super spacer) and the Okna 500. Both are trim line and close in price. Does anyone prefer one over the other? If so, why?

Also, one company selling the Soft-Lite stated they use expanding foam when installing the windows while another does not. The one that does not states they order the window within 1/4 inch of the size needed and no further installation is needed once they cap and caulk. The one that uses foam has lifetime warranty on labor and costs $300 more than the other which has 10 year warranty on labor. I'm still waiting to hear what the Okna installer does and their labor warranty. If I get the Soft-lite window, which installer would you go with based on the info I supplied?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-Lite? Okna?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both good windows. Sort out your installer preferences and go with that. Low expansion foam is not a must, however, it certainly indicated a level of familiarity with the most up to date installation techniques.

dpcat

#3 Post by dpcat »

Re: expanding caulk for windows.... do you know what the temperatures are that this type of caulk should NOT be used in as it could affect the performance (i.e., not expand, not seal, or etc.) For example, should installers stay away from using this caulk in temperatures less than 30 degrees? greater than 90 degrees? Or is there no temperature restrictions on this type of caulk?

jsmomo

#4 Post by jsmomo »

there is no such thing as expanding caulk i think you mean low expanding foam insulation.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

On outside insulating you are restricted per directions on the can to temps down to 40 degrees ...though if the can is warm you can apply in a little colder temps. The foam will start getting a slimy look to it when it starts getting too cold. You do not want to use it when it gets to that point as the foam won't stay expanded and there will be voids later.

WindowEDU

#6 Post by WindowEDU »

dpcat,
Bainbridge has double weather stripping on sides of sashes while Okna 500 has triple. Also, if you look at the exterior of the masterframes I think You'll find that the Okna 500 looks more atractive. Welds on the 500 may look a little neater too. I heard Okna just invested over a million dollars in a new piece of equipment just for cleaning the welds. Softlite wds are made on automated, high tech equipment and are very impressive, I've been to the factory. Only problem is sometimes that high tech equipment might not get calibrated like it should. We're going to the Okna factory this week for a tour. After the tour I'll let you know if we were impressed or not. Also another thing on comparing the bainbridge and the Okna 500, the whole window U-factor on the Bainbridge "with" super spacer is a .29 (good) the Okna 500 with foam filled frame and sash is a .25 (very good). This is "THE" best U-Factors on a double-pane I've ever seen.

About the Installation, Critical to have a good, reputable installer that particularly specializes in windows. Can make ALL the difference in the World.