super spacer or intercept spacer on Milgard Tuscany?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Will91

super spacer or intercept spacer on Milgard Tuscany?

#1 Post by Will91 »

Hi all:

I'm going to go with Milgard Tuscany windows after all. I was set on Simonton windows but I want a nailing fin and I have some problems with their snap-in nail fin design.

Anyways, the Tuscany comes with either super spacer foam or aluminum intercept. From the data Milgard has provided, I see very minimal difference in the U factor data. Are there any compelling reasons to go with the super spacer?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: super spacer or intercept spacer on Milgard Tuscany?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The U-Factor difference is slightly misleading. Super Spacer and other non-metallic spacers do provide better edge of glass performance that can sometimes make the difference between a functioning window and a poorly functioning window.

Also, Simonton product lines are available with an integral nailing fin (i.e. not snap in style).

Will91

#3 Post by Will91 »

Thanks Windows on Washington:

Is an intercept spacer still considered acceptable? I was reading on the EdgeTech site (www.superspacer.com) about how the perimeter of a window will have a slightly colder temperature with even a U-channel intercept spacer, vs. minimal temperature difference with the superspacer. However, it's not clear it the difference is really dramatic enough that condensation is a problem with U-channel intercept spacers. They were also quick to talk about the four letter word, MOLD, and that condensation can lead to mold growth - although I'm not really sure condensation would lead to mold growth anyway in a vinyl window. From what I understand, mold likes natural materials like wood or drywall.

Also, you are right, Simonton does have windows with integral nailing fins. I should have clarified that. They have a pro series builder window that has integral fins, and the 9800/Generations/Impressions has integral fins in the double hung - but the sliders and casements do not and I want sliders. I confirmed this with the manufacturing plant in McAlester, Oklahoma.

dutch

#4 Post by dutch »

Will91 wrote:Hi all:

I'm going to go with Milgard Tuscany windows after all. I was set on Simonton windows but I want a nailing fin and I have some problems with their snap-in nail fin design.

Anyways, the Tuscany comes with either super spacer foam or aluminum intercept. From the data Milgard has provided, I see very minimal difference in the U factor data. Are there any compelling reasons to go with the super spacer?

Thanks
I saw a Tuscany brochure where they show the foam spacer option. They claim it adds sound reduction. If that is important to you, you could look into it more.

One question since you have done such extensive on hands research: Did the new "almost invisible" Milgard screens on the Tuscany impress you compared to other brands?

I have seen these and am VERY impressed. They are so fine and light colored, it's the closest I have ever seen to the perception that the screen is not there. However, I am just comparing it to the standard old Milgard screen, so I don't know if they engineered a new brilliant screen in the last year or if they just finally caught up with other manufacturers?

Windows(SouthernCA)

#5 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

Milgard tuscany needs to be upgraded to 3DMAX (superspacer, argon, and suncoat max) in order to qualify for the $1,500 tax credit.

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Looks like Milgard is changing their spacer system to stainless steel. My Milgard rep just told me but didn't have any details. Anyone have any details? Superspacer will no longer be used unless its a shape frame. I wonder if the U-Factor or SHGC will change.