opinion on Amerimax sliders?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Will91

opinion on Amerimax sliders?

#1 Post by Will91 »

Hi all:

Just when I was ready to go forward with the Milgard Tuscany, a neighbor told me about Amerimax. I am in Colorado and they are made in Loveland (and also in California). I went to a local dealer and was impressed. I thought they had a much more elegant and stylish look than the Tuscany. The frame was somewhat thinner and the outside had some curves as compared to the flat profile of the Tuscany.

I loved the fact that Milgard extrudes their own vinyl, has a local manufacturing plant in CO, and has an incredible warranty but I must say the aesthetics and fit and finish of the Amerimax seemed superior. It reminded me of the Simonton's and Gorell windows I looked at previously. I had ruled out Simonton because there are so few installing dealers AND they have a snap-in nail fin. The lower nail fin is caulked and inserted by the installer and this seems to be a weakpoint of the Simonton sliders. If that caulk fails, water has a direct route to the house sheathing. The amerimax (like the tuscany) has an integrated nail fin.

Westtech in Canada extrudes vinyl and provides the lineals to Amerimax.

Does anyone have comments/experience with the Amerimax??

astuemky

Re: opinion on Amerimax sliders?

#2 Post by astuemky »

Hello - just wondering if you purchased the Amerimax windows and if you were happy with them? I've read good and bad posts on them, but am getting an offer of a very good price for them, and I do like the idea of buying locally (I live in CO). However, i've read a few things that said they weren't very good when it got really cold out.

Will91

#3 Post by Will91 »

Hi:

I looked at the Amerimax several times. It is also marketed in Colorado both under a private label (Conservation Construction). I really liked the frame on the Amerimax - it is quite sleek and elegant. It is also pretty thin, so it does not have the appearance of being a bulky frame. However, after finding out that I could purchase Simonton 9800 sliders in CO, I decided against the Amerimax. Although the frame on the 9800 appears more bulky and even less elegant, I believe the end result is a more sturdy, well-built window meant to withstand wind, hot and cold extremes, etc. Plus, Simonton has a great reputation, and the pre-sales support I have received from their corporate office and local distributors here have been fantastic. This is the window I am going to have installed during some upcoming remodeling. I should also mention that since I posted my original message above, the 9800 and 5500 sliders are now manufactured with integral nail fin flanges! The snap in fins relied on caulk to prevent water from compromising the seal which I think was a weak point.

The Simonton 9800 also has what they call applied lift rails. Many windows (including the Amerimax) have a lift rail that is actually part of the extrusion. On the 9800, the lift rail is not part of the extrusion and gives a more elegant, finished look to the window. If you like double hung windows, the Simonton 9800 is very elegant. The 9800 has extra detail on the lineals when compared to the 5500. Bill has posted some pictures (you can do a search). Unfortunately, this detail is not carried over in the sliders. Oh well, you can't have everything. By the way, on one of my posts, I attached a picture of the 9800 slider.

I think you would be OK with the Amerimax if you like them but my conclusion was that there are better options. You also might want to check a recent review of the Amerimax by another CO forum member. He had some problems with condensation during a winter cold snap we had and has been trying to resolve some problems with Amerimax.

Let us know what you decide.

thermal99

#4 Post by thermal99 »

the 9800 has Lift Handles opposed to lift rails.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

it is available with either.

thermal99

#6 Post by thermal99 »

i did'nt knoe that. personally,i prefer the handles on the 9800.