Is this quote reasonable? Or am I being ripped off?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jimsunhong

Is this quote reasonable? Or am I being ripped off?

#1 Post by jimsunhong »

Hi, I am a first time window buyer and I am looking to purchase vinyl windows to replace the old aluminum ones in my condo (retrofit install, stucco on outside of building). I have 2 windows that are horizontal sliders (47x59), one that is a double horizontal (XOX) slider (95x48), and one patio sliding glass door (96x79) that need replacing. I live in Southern California and I had someone come and do a presentation today for Anlin windows (dual pane, low-e cubed, no grid, no gas) and the quoted price for the 3 Catalina windows and 1 Malibu door with screens, including labor and tax was $6371. This was the first quote I've received so far, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems pretty high to me. Is this a reasonable price for this product? If not, what would be an expected price for the amount of windows I need replaced? Any thoughts would help....

ALPRO

Re: Is this quote reasonable? Or am I being ripped off?

#2 Post by ALPRO »

Why would you consider purchasing a new window product with "no gas" between the panes? Glass has little to NO insulating value, a denser than air gas between the panes is not only old technology,..but considered industry standard at this point. In a warm or cold climate, the denser than air gas pocket between the panes greatly adds to the R-value over a non-gas filled multiglazed unit.
In a sunny climate, the coatings on the glass become a factor as well,..and "Low-e" coatings are also considered industry standard. Some coatings are better than others. Things to look for in a coating are silver oxide sputter coats with a nitride protective coating over that.
Don't believe what what someone tells you,...get things in trademarked printed literature.
Be wary of manufactures that offer myriad glass combinations. If the products are found to underperform it can always be declared "a mistake in manufacturing" if it turns out that you didn't get what you thought you were paying for. I call this the glass option shell game. Some manufacturers have as many as 16 options for coatings, tint and gas fillings. Without plasma detectors (which run about 150k apiece) do you think you could tell the difference? Refined simplicity is the hallmark of what?

jeff1995

Re: Is this quote reasonable? Or am I being ripped off?

#3 Post by jeff1995 »

In my opinion, for the S. Ca. market, that pricing is very high. I do sell windows, but not Anlin. I understand that Anlin is a good product overall. Your pricing did include labor for your condo install. What floor is your unit on ? That might make a difference in cost also. Argon gas is a good point. Low cost up-grade and with low-e3 and a superspacer would make your windows / patio door very efficient. Get 2 more quotes for your Anlin products and use the exact same options, you could see the pricing vary alot. As this site has said so many times; be sure that your installer is using the correct products, and is licensed and bonded. Good Luck.