Simonton 5500 Reflections vs. other choices

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Will91

Simonton 5500 Reflections vs. other choices

#1 Post by Will91 »

Hi everyone:

After reviewing all the Colorado choices, I am nearly set on placing an order for Simonton 5500 windows (sliders). There are two distributors here - one offers the 5500 Reflections and the other offers the Prism Platinum. I am told they are equivalent windows.

I notice there is a lot of discussion here about Soft-Lite, Vanguard, Okna, Sunrise, and other manufacturers. Unfortunately, it appears from the websites of these manufacturers that they are not yet offered as far west as Colorado. I did find that the Alside line is offered here but it does not come with an integral nailing fin flange which I have insisted on since I am having trim and siding replaced and believe an integral nailing fin flange makes for a much better installation in this situation.

Is the Simonton 5500 Reflections considered at least equivalent in quality to the best window models offered by these other manufacturers. I am the sort of person that likes to see all the choices but unfortunately, these manufacturers do not have dealers in my area.

My only disappointment with the Simonton would be that their frame seems on the bulky side. I would imagine this could be viewed positively since it certainly appears sturdy. I am also not a big fan of the way they finish their mitered fusion joints with the grooved appearance. Simonton tells me that is a "shadow line" and they believe it gives the window a more elegant and finished look that other approaches.

Any input on where folks would place the Simonton 5500 in the vinyl window "line-up" would be appreciated.

dutch

Re: Simonton 5500 Reflections vs. other choices

#2 Post by dutch »

Will91 wrote:Hi everyone:

After reviewing all the Colorado choices, I am nearly set on placing an order for Simonton 5500 windows (sliders).
I thought you had decided on the Milgard Tuscany. What happened with that?

Since so many people like Simonton here, I glanced at their website some months ago. I was not impressed with a line in their warranty that said something to the effect that all claims had to be submitted through the distributor you bought them from and not direct to them (not sure if that is still the case). I know you can go directly to Milgard for warranty service even if you used one of their certified dealers. So that seemed like a big turn off to Simonton for me.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

dutch wrote:
Will91 wrote:Hi everyone:

After reviewing all the Colorado choices, I am nearly set on placing an order for Simonton 5500 windows (sliders).
I thought you had decided on the Milgard Tuscany. What happened with that?

Since so many people like Simonton here, I glanced at their website some months ago. I was not impressed with a line in their warranty that said something to the effect that all claims had to be submitted through the distributor you bought them from and not direct to them (not sure if that is still the case). I know you can go directly to Milgard for warranty service even if you used one of their certified dealers. So that seemed like a big turn off to Simonton for me.
Why would that be a turn-off??? If you purchased something from a retail store and had a problem with it, would you rather take it back to the store or be forced to deal with the manufacturer who may be 500 miles away?

The fact that Simonton has a local representative who is authorized to make warranty decisions is a big plus.

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

Simonton asks that the dealer inspects all warranty claims. For instance we may get a call from a customer that a window will not lock. More times than not the customer does not have the window tilted back and latched properly after cleaning or the upper sash may not be up and no parts are required. A manufacturer would have no way of diagnosing a problem like that and may send out unnecessary parts.

Simonton would not deny a warranty claim submitted directly but it is best if we can go out and determine if parts are required for repair or replacement.

Simonton is one of the few companies that have their own field service reps that we can call on if we can not solve a problem.

Bill

micman82

#5 Post by micman82 »

Whatever you do, don't get Amerimax windows.

I had them installed in May. Now I have ice on the inside of all my windows. There is a significant draft of cold air between the sash and the frame. The weather stripping on the windows is horrible.

I used more gas for heat this November vs last November (w/1970s aluminum windows) despite the average temperature being 3 degrees higher THIS year (and yes, the thermostat settings were identical).

I don't doubt that there are problems with the installation, but there are drafts of cold air coming in due to poor weather stripping, which is an abyssmal design failure by Amerimax.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Simonton would be mentioned in the same breath as those other manufacturers.

Stylistically, the 5500/Platinum is not as pretty as some of those others mentioned, however, it is a well built product.

Will91

#7 Post by Will91 »

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Dutch: Yes, I was set on Milgard Tuscany but after going to the factory again in Aurora, I think it is not as attractive a design as the Simonton.

Windows on Washington: thanks for your comments on Simonton relative to other brands. I wholeheartedly agree it is probably not the most attractive window, but I think it is probably one of the best built windows out there, with a great company behind it. I just wish Simonton had more installing dealers out here - I'm having to hire my own contractor who will order directly from the distributor. Neither the contractor nor the distributor has been able to answer all my questions so I have had to call Simonton myself. I don't mind, but I know the average homeowner would not want to go through all the fuss.

DTcolorado

#8 Post by DTcolorado »

Will91....just wondering if you ever purchased your windows? Are they installed? Did you go w/ the Simonton? I live in CO too and lost a window during the recent tornado. I am totally overwhelmed by what brand of window to go w/ and thank you for all of your posts and research that you have done. It is very helpful. I'm looking for DH windows but still curious how the Simonton sliders worked for you and if you're satisfied after all of the research you did? thx

Will91

#9 Post by Will91 »

Greetings DTColorado and thanks for your post.

I am glad you found my posts helpful. If it had not been for this website, I never would have learned about Simonton (or many of the other quality vinyl windows out there).

I know what you mean about being overwhelmed with options and I spent quite a bit of time looking at nearly all the options we have here in CO. Many of the windows discussed on this board like SoftLite, Simonton, etc. can be found ... but you have to know where to look. Otherwise, it is easy to perhaps settle on the easy options - like Champion.

I had anticipated having my Simonton 9800 Impressions sliders installed by now but since I need some new siding and a possible addition I have decided to bundle all these projects through one general contractor - lest I pull my hair out orchestrating all these intertwined jobs. I am in the process of obtaining bids from general contractors but the Simonton's are still part of my project. I remain convinced that they are an excellent window. What has really impressed me is that although there are no window contractors/stores, etc. offering the Simontons, the suppliers in Denver and the Simonton home office in WV have bent over backwards getting me the information I have needed to finalize my options. With their help, and others like Bill on this board, I have been able to figure out how to have the windows configured.

Let me know if you have any questions about choices here in CO. I am happy to help others as they have helped me.

By the way, both Norandex and Ted Lansing have the Simonton 5500 DH on display at their Denver office. ABC carries the 9800 (and you might like the look of applied lift rails rather than integrated rails like the 5500). Also, if you check the pictures posted by Bill, the extra beveled edge (if that is the correct word for it) looks nicer on the interior of the 9800 DH compared to the 5500, in my opinion. You might also want to consider the new laminate woodgrains offered on the 5500. I haven't seen them in person but they sound nice. I wish they were offered on the 9800 sliders with nail fin option - but no so according to Bill.

DTcolorado

#10 Post by DTcolorado »

Thanks again for all of your input. I wish there weren't so many hoops to jump through to get the Simonton windows(it's hard enough choosing a window I don't want to have to find a GC to install them too). Did you have any luck w/ the local Simonton dealers? I found a couple on the web who say they sell Simonton...but maybe not the right series. I need to start making some calls. I think I do have a good source for the Milgard Tuscany...my neighbor just had them installed and the installer did a nice job. And from what I've read on this site the quality of the installation is just as important as window.

servicetech

#11 Post by servicetech »

Will, I may be too late for your project but hopefully will provide some assistance to other's. You can add the nailing flange to any replacement Simonton window. Instead of the builder grade which is the only one with extruded flange, the other models have an accessory groove for J-channel, nailing flange (flange is only for better seal, not structural) or any other accessory. JD power and Associates rate them high on quality and service by builder's nationwide.
The flanges will obviously add to the cost per window but will provide what u are looking for.

Also, if you have issues with Simonton products you are required to go to the distributor first. They will pre-screen your complaint to solve it themselves, in most cases, in more difficult cases they will call Simonton or request a rep come to your home and investigate the issues.

Bill

#12 Post by Bill »

Service Tech this is an old thread but anyway your Simonton info is dated and incorrect. The Simonton 5500, 9800 and their rebranded private label equivalents are available with an integral nailing fin with J channel and the J can be factory removed when not desired

The UV11 Snap in nailing fin can be applied to the 5050 and 5300 windows. The UV37 Snap in nailing fin w/ J channel is no longer available.