Americas Window Authority EarthWise Windows Good??

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Kfitz

Americas Window Authority EarthWise Windows Good??

#1 Post by Kfitz »

I am looking to buy windows for the first time and I am unsure of whats good in windows. I have a Quote from Install America for the Comfort Series windows. I have a town house with 8 windows and 2 patio sliding doors. Is $500 per window(vinyl,grid,double hung) and $1500 per slider (vinyl) a good price for the product? $7000.00 total is a bit more than I want to spend, but if it is worth it I will. From the website I think it is the Earthwise EW 143. I can't afford the super 12, or the super 12 with heat mirror. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Americas Window Authority EarthWise Windows Good??

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would say that Earthwise would be considered an average window...at best in todays market.

Kfitz

#3 Post by Kfitz »

Ok, do the prices seem out of line? They have the Good, Better, Best, as they call it, and the one I'm looking at are just the "Good" ones. Are they at least better than what I could get at Lowes or Home Depot? For the same amount of money or less, can I get something better? Thanks for your reply.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are in either PA or MD and there are quite a few very good manufacturers in those areas. You would be well advised to get some more quotes on other products.

krypton

#5 Post by krypton »

"earth windows" sound somewhat mysterious and generate interest. that said,if you live in Pa,you have about 4 top of the line window manufacturers in that state.

Kfitz

#6 Post by Kfitz »

I'm in MD. Who are the top manufacturers? I checked at lowes also, but after reading here I don't think I will go with lowes pella windows.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not so many in MD as there are in PA and Southern PA.

Your access to top brands being from MD is totally unimpeded. Keep shopping. $500 and opening for Earthwise is not good considering you can get an Okna 500 for basically the same price.

jsmomo

#8 Post by jsmomo »

is the 1500 for a patio door or a sliding window ?

Kfitz

#9 Post by Kfitz »

Yes the $1500 is for a patio sliding door. Okna is a good one I take it? There are so many, and everyone says "ours is the best" Another contractor likes to use "Exact" windows (its the make, I don't know if I spelled it right) and Anderson doors.

jsmomo

#10 Post by jsmomo »

the exact is a mi product it is a low end window anderson as long as it isn't silverline make a good patio door. you will be looking at alot more the 1500 for a anderson patio door the real anderson.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

I would stay away from Capital/MI. Far away! I think Andersen makes an all vinyl patio slider (not Silverline) that is pretty decent. We did 2 units with the tan clad exterior and real oak interior with grids 2 years ago. The 6' standard 2-lite slider in oak was under $2K for a customer or contactor to purchase. The sticker on the all white Andersen vinyl door was only like $1K with a white handle.
If you could get that installed for $500 labor you would have a homerun.

Kfitz

#12 Post by Kfitz »

Ok, Now I'm looking at 2 Anderson patio sliders for $1500 a piece installed, and MI Xact 1450 series vinyl, double hung, low E, Argon $375 a piece installed. This guy is the owner, and good friend of my brother. So, it would be $6000 total for the 8 windows and 2 doors. He said he installs a lot of these windows and they hold up well. I saw some of his work, and he does nice work. What do you guys think? The Anderson slider is close to $1000.00, and he said he will do the install for $500.00 a piece. Thanks for all the input, it is helping me a lot.

Kfitz

#13 Post by Kfitz »

Ok, maybe it is the 1650 series Xact window. He just sent me this link. http://www.miwd.com/miwd_v2/productSele ... 37&appl=53

taser

#14 Post by taser »

Exact is made by metal industries; a garbage,low grade window in the same class as silverline.

Kfitz

#15 Post by Kfitz »

Oh, ok. So, all Xact windows are total garbage? I have more contractors coming out today, monday, and tuesday. I will see what they use. Why are the Xact garbage? What happens with them that makes them so bad? Thanks again.