Simonton Platinum v. Ideal PerfectFit v. ?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LBG

Simonton Platinum v. Ideal PerfectFit v. ?

#1 Post by LBG »

Hi,

We're replacing 19 double hung) windows in our 1970's home in southern Maryland. We've gotten 2 proposals so far from 2 contractors who are well rated in the area. We're also waiting for a 3 quote.

Option 1 is the Simonton Prism Platinum w/ low e glass for 7300. The reviews that I've found are very positive here.

Option 2 is Ideal PerfectFit w/ low e glass, argon gas, and optional foam filling for 7100. I can't seem to find much info on this window, so I was hoping to see if anyone had it.

Option 3 was Renewal by Anderson, and they are more than double (almost triple) in price than either of these two options.

Option 4 is with the 3rd contractor. He is a general contractor and has done good work on two houses in the neighborhood (including siding and windows). He'll make a recommendation but has said that any window we want he can pretty much get. Anything out there we should be asking him for?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

jsmomo

Re: Simonton Platinum v. Ideal PerfectFit v. ?

#2 Post by jsmomo »

i have never heard of ideal windows it might be a private label window what was the company's name you might be able to get more info off their site. the only window i use by simonton is the 5500 haven't had many issues with it. let us know what the gc if offering for some feedback

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

Ideal is made up here in New Jersey; it’s not the best product on the market for the small difference in $ the Simonton window is a much better choice.

The Prism Platinum is a private label line produced for Norandex and it is the same window as the Reflections 5500

Bill

jsmomo

#4 Post by jsmomo »

thanks bill i knew it was a private label for norandex i didnt know it was the same as the 5500. LBG what are your current windows that u have now? wood metal vinyl

triple_krypton

#5 Post by triple_krypton »

thats a very good price for 19 dh windows (simonton). i woul'nt charge less than 8500 so you are getting a killer deal.

LBG

#6 Post by LBG »

Sorry I've been away. My current windows are a mix. I have some wood, some aluminum (or some sort of metal, but cold and leaky). The house was built in 1970, with an addition in 1978. It appears that most of the windows are original to those dates. (We've been living here for 10 years). Most that are double paned have broken seals or latches. We're also doing 2 sliding doors - one 8 ft and one 6 ft (not included in that price). I think we're getting a good deal in part b/c we're also pricing siding at the same time with the same contractor.

I'm defnitely going to do the Simonton v. the Ideal from what I've read here. The 3rd contractor hasn't given us an estimate yet, so I'm assuming he's not interested in our job.

LBG

#7 Post by LBG »

gotta say, I went with the Simonton and I'm not loving them. I knew I would lose some view, but these windows are thick framed and I'm losing a lot. Plus they didn't seem to fit tight into the opening. Lots of plywood added, which cuts the view even more. Maybe I'll get used to them, but I am having buyers remorse right now. The sliders are the worst. The threshold is now sitting 2 inches above floor level - a definite tripping hazard. I know I'm just venting now and will call the contractor tomorrow, but 2 inches is ridiculously dangerous, imo.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The windows should have been measured to within an 1/8 inch on all 4 sides at max to allow for shimming and squaring. If they were ripping alot of plywood, there might be more going on there.

Post up some pictures.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

Simonton's aren't the thinnest profile on the market but, surely you looked at them and knew this before you purchased them. It's very rare that we have anyone complain about them. Most see it as a small trade off considering the quality of Simonton's. Just as 3 coats of loE tend to make the window glass a little bit darker.

The rest of your issues are installation related. Hopefully you haven't paid the balance due.

LBG

#10 Post by LBG »

Here are a few pics. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

All basement windows have this much gap around them. Note the quarter round used to trim it out.

Bathroom window - you can see all the plywood used.

advanced_energy

#11 Post by advanced_energy »

simply put,they ordered the windows too small. they shimmed the heck out of it. i would have used a different kind of insulation though.
looks like they were ordered at least a 1/2 inch too small on both width and height.

advanced_energy

#12 Post by advanced_energy »

i don't know what you paid but this is a case where someone looked for the best deal! not saying you did that but this is what happens when people do. pay the extra 1500 and get the job done correctly.

LBG

#13 Post by LBG »

They were all pretty competitive, (except the Anderson guy) and this guy got rave recommendations. Maybe they didn't actually see how he did the install.

advanced_energy

#14 Post by advanced_energy »

thats what i'm guessing.. they used the half roun to cover the gaps.playing devils advocate here for a minute,was it all the windows or just a few that have the gaps? sometimes its very hard to get a good measure on a window without tearing off the moulding/casing. no excuses but it happens from time to time. in fact it happened to me on a bay,the orgiginal bay was installed poorly and shimmed with 2 x 4's believe it or not.. i made it work and the customer loved it but i noticed it and it bothered me as a professional.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

Redo :shock: