Alside, Amsco, Amerimax, Jeldwen or Anlin--would like advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dlp

Alside, Amsco, Amerimax, Jeldwen or Anlin--would like advice

#1 Post by dlp »

Have spent several months researching windows and have pretty much narrowed it down to vinyl. Our requirements are:

-Custom sizing
-Dark brown exterior/white interior (this eliminates a lot of companies)
-Must qualify for Tax Credit
-We plan to stay here so we would like a good quality window that will stand the test of time

We have looked at Alside, Amsco, Amerimax and we have just been introduced to Jeld Wen Premium and Anlin. We have found lots of negatives on Alside on these forums, very little information on Amsco (although I get the feeling they are a middle to lower end window), Amerimax seems to get fairly good reviews, and Jeld wen reviews are all over the board. Anlin is made right here in California so that might be a good thing to consider, however, their brown exterior color is a spray on process rather than being colored throughout the vinyl. Not sure if this would be a big drawback--that is true of the Jeldwen as well.

Can anyone help us assess how these windows line up quality wise?

Oh, by the way, we are in California (SF East Bay Area) so our climate is mild.

dutch

Re: Alside, Amsco, Amerimax, Jeldwen or Anlin--would like advice

#2 Post by dutch »

dlp wrote:Have spent several months researching windows and have pretty much narrowed it down to vinyl. Our requirements are:

-Custom sizing
-Dark brown exterior/white interior (this eliminates a lot of companies)
-Must qualify for Tax Credit
-We plan to stay here so we would like a good quality window that will stand the test of time

We have looked at Alside, Amsco, Amerimax and we have just been introduced to Jeld Wen Premium and Anlin. We have found lots of negatives on Alside on these forums, very little information on Amsco (although I get the feeling they are a middle to lower end window), Amerimax seems to get fairly good reviews, and Jeld wen reviews are all over the board. Anlin is made right here in California so that might be a good thing to consider, however, their brown exterior color is a spray on process rather than being colored throughout the vinyl. Not sure if this would be a big drawback--that is true of the Jeldwen as well.

Can anyone help us assess how these windows line up quality wise?

Oh, by the way, we are in California (SF East Bay Area) so our climate is mild.
I'm not a pro, but it's hard to get any help here if you are in the west, so here's what I know about what you listed.

First, do you REALLY have to have dark brown? That is so limiting that you could be blowing a lot of money for an inferior window that you will regret later on.

OK, I have never heard anything good about jeld weld! Alside gets very low marks from some very respected pros here.

I checked into Amsco 2 years ago. At that time they had ONE plant in Utah. They didn't even offer argon gas, which they said something like "we'll keep looking at this novel idea and if it ever proves itself, we will consider offering it." The reason they didn't offer it was because their plant was at a high altitude and they couldn't practically ship it. But they had the nerve to say it was an unproven technology etc. The windows were not impressive, and the one factory plus their distribution practices were a big turn off.

Anlin is hard to tell. Some (in the west) really like them. The problem I would worry about is that they are a small company with only one plant. In these economic times you have to think about those things.

Amerimax usually gets decent to great reviews here.

I would think some pro here could give you guidance on Amerimax, since I would think that would probably be your best bet of what you listed (again, I am not a pro).

dlp

#3 Post by dlp »

Thank you so much for your input--I was beginning to think I was invisible. From the very beginning I have said that the brown color was one factor that was not negotiable. I may have to re-think that.

I have pretty much ruled out Alside (because of the negative reviews on this board), Amsco and possible Jeldwen. Anlin has very good numbers as far as U-factor and SHGC. My one concern about Anlin is the sprayed on brown finish which is only warrantied for 10 years.

I haven't looked at Amerimax for a while. The one thing that I did not like about their window was the uneven sightlines however, yesterday while I was looking at their website it appears that they do have a line with even sightlines. I couldn't find their energy efficiency numbers on their website.

Thanks again. The search continues.

JWREP

#4 Post by JWREP »

I am a Jeld Wen Rep out here on the west coast. Southern California to be exact. We have a painted product from our Primo line of vinyl windows that carrys a ten year warranty along with our lifetime warranty on the window itself. Lifetime glass/screen breakage are also include on this vinyl line. We have 8 colors available w/ chocolate brown being one of the colors. They are painted on the exterior only. Our primo line also comes standard with even sitelines, double strength glass,double concave roller system on a raised aluminum track,standard secondary vent stop. We have a glass package called the energy save plus that meets the tax stimulus requirements of .30. It adds LowE366,Argon Gas, and Super Spacer. The standard glass is LowE272. Most custom sizes are not an issue and our plant is located in Vista,Ca. about 45 minutes north of San Diego. Lead times for standard product are 10 working days and the painted vinyl is a 3-4 week lead time. I hope this info leads you to an informed decision on your window purchase.

dlp

#5 Post by dlp »

JWREP wrote:I am a Jeld Wen Rep out here on the west coast. Southern California to be exact. We have a painted product from our Primo line of vinyl windows that carrys a ten year warranty along with our lifetime warranty on the window itself. Lifetime glass/screen breakage are also include on this vinyl line. We have 8 colors available w/ chocolate brown being one of the colors. They are painted on the exterior only. Our primo line also comes standard with even sitelines, double strength glass,double concave roller system on a raised aluminum track,standard secondary vent stop. We have a glass package called the energy save plus that meets the tax stimulus requirements of .30. It adds LowE366,Argon Gas, and Super Spacer. The standard glass is LowE272. Most custom sizes are not an issue and our plant is located in Vista,Ca. about 45 minutes north of San Diego. Lead times for standard product are 10 working days and the painted vinyl is a 3-4 week lead time. I hope this info leads you to an informed decision on your window purchase.

JWREP, Thanks for your information. We actually did look at the Jeldwen Premium vinyls but one concern we had was that your website indicates a U factor of .31 with LowE366 and Argon. Is it the Super Spacer that makes the difference? I believe the website shows it with the Intercept spacer.

Also, the ten year guarantee on the painted finish is a concern because if it should start to chip, peel or fade after ten years there is really no answer to the problem other than to replace the window, right?

JWREP

#6 Post by JWREP »

JWREP,

Welcome to the board, we look forward to your participation, but please read the rules. Generally speaking we don't give warnings.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=928

Admin

jsmomo

#7 Post by jsmomo »

jwrep it was all good until you asked for contact info now it just spam :lol:

Door&WindowPlus

#8 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I sell Amerimax and can tell you a few things.

Most companies only use paint for their colored windows. Amerimax is one of them.

Amerimax has a even sightline, double strength glass, superspacer and triple weatherstripping. Brickmold retrofit frame is nice if you have a stucco house. Amerimax windows come in 10 colors. Amerimax has a nice webiste to look at the colors. Warranty wise you only get a 10 year warranty if you get the colored frames. I don't know of any company with a longer warranty then this on painted color.

Marvin Integrity is a nice product that has recently come out with custom sizes on their some of their fiberglass product. This in only available on new construction frames and their block frame inserts(which are brand new). Marvin Integrity does not have a retro fit frame yet but I hear they are working on it. I think they only come in 5 or 6 colors but black and bronze are ones to choose from. Warranty wise you would have to check the Marvin Integrity website.