Xact Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
PAMIKE

Xact Windows

#1 Post by PAMIKE »

I am trying to replace 8 DH windows and 1 bay in a house that I plan on being in for about 7 - 10 years tops. So this will be on a budget since I do not plan on living here forever. I have compared about 10 different companies and the only window I haven't heard any reviews on is an XACT 1650 made by MIWD. It was a nice looking window, nothing special, but seemed decent. Wanted to know what people thought of that compared to a Window World 6000?

windowdude

Re: Xact Windows

#2 Post by windowdude »

Can you provide more details? Glass packages? Spacers? etc...So we can get a better idea of what you're comparing?

Are MI and Window World's Alside the only two windows that you've looked at that fit your budget? I would say that those two are roughly comparable as far as looks and build quality go, but that's not saying much. You could definitely do better if your budget allows...

PAMIKE

#3 Post by PAMIKE »

Both have the Low-E glass with Argon. The WW 600 has a 2 piece sill, the Xact has a one piece sill, which I do like better. They are both around 350-400 a window installed. I don't want to spend any more than that because I'm not going to be there that long. My father had 23 of the WW 6000 installed about 6 years ago and he has no complaints, leaks, cracks or drafts. But if there is a better window for the money I'm willing to take a look, but all I ever see people say is that there is "a better window for the money" but no one can actually give a name.

windowdude

#4 Post by windowdude »

Yeah I'm not sure you're going to do much better for $350-400 a window...but remember that you get what you pay for. :)

Do you have an urgent problem with your existing windows that makes you feel like you have to replace them right now? Could you wait a year or two, get a better (although more expensive) window with a strong warranty that could be transferred to whoever you eventually sell your house to? You may get a better return on your investment by having a better quality window installed.

PAMIKE

#5 Post by PAMIKE »

No, we just bought this house and it is in great shape except the windows are about 40 year old aluminum windows that were not installed correctly. That provide no insulation, so we really want to replace these before winter. I realize you get what you pay for, and if this was a permanent home I'd probably be installing high end composite or fiberglass windows. But for now I just need something to reduce my electric bill and keep us comfortable. Does anyone have any reviews of the xact 1650?

windowdude

#6 Post by windowdude »

PAMIKE wrote:Does anyone have any reviews of the xact 1650?
Sorry. My take on the Certainteed/MI windows is that I wouldn't put them in my house because of their build quality and looks.

Honestly, and I'm being sincere, if you want a quick fix to get you through winter, don't buy cheap windows...but plastic over the old ones instead. You can get a kit at Wal Mart and kind of shrink wrap the insides with a blow-dryer. If you really want to invest in new windows, save up and get them next year. :D

Windows(SouthernCA)

#7 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

MI Windows makes different windows for different parts of the country. The Capital line was junk and was sold in California. Capital is no longer available for us. I know other MI windows lines have changed with MI Windows buying the Certainteed plant. MI Windows now makes the Professional and Homemaker series for the California retrofit marketplace. MI Windows also sells private label to some of its dealers in California. The Professional and Homemaker meet the 0.30/0.30 requirements by adding Cardinal low-e366 and argon for the tax credit. MI Windows also has service techs in California to handle warranty issues. They aren't top of the line but not junk either.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

The 1650 is glazed with Intercept from PPG. The window is overall is a cheaply made Sunrise knock-off. It's slightly better than most the stuff out of Depot and Lowes. My concern with MI would be the manufacturing tolerences and operation over time. I don't really like the shallow lift rail on the bottom sash, but that's nit-picking. I guess if a really good installer put them in, they could be okay.

Windows(SouthernCA)

#9 Post by Windows(SouthernCA) »

Delaware Mike wrote:The 1650 is glazed with Intercept from PPG. The window is overall is a cheaply made Sunrise knock-off. It's slightly better than most the stuff out of Depot and Lowes. My concern with MI would be the manufacturing tolerences and operation over time. I don't really like the shallow lift rail on the bottom sash, but that's nit-picking. I guess if a really good installer put them in, they could be okay.
I know the glass for Homemaker and Professional Series is from Cardinal and it's Lowe-366 is double strength standard. It uses the Intercept spacer and has rollers that are nylon with stainless steel axle. Welded corners with a attacted retrofit flange. So I guess the XACT 1650 is a totally different MI window series for the East Coast.