5500/Prism Platinum vs. Polar Wall/Impressions 9800

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
OkieDokieRick

5500/Prism Platinum vs. Polar Wall/Impressions 9800

#1 Post by OkieDokieRick »

I think my heading is factual, but I'm not positive. Please correct me if it's incorrect.

Anyway, I was talking with a dealer/installer today about the Platinum vs. the Polar Wall. At that time I was leaning toward the Polar Wall, but he said he preferred the Platinum. His reason was that the vertical opening going into the frame from the inside where the sash fits into the frame (he mentioned the balance area?) is more narrow in the Polar Wall and hard for the installer to get fingers or tools through to install the window, and sometimes the window is damaged during installation because of this. I could see that it was much more narrow, but I have no idea if this would really be a problem. I could easily put my fingers inside the frame of the Platinum, but not the Polar Wall. (He also didn't like the rubber flap at the bottom of the sash, because he thought it was unnecessary and it didn't look good because it curled up on the ends when the sash was moved.)

Do any of you think this is true (that the Polar Wall is hard to work with, or that the Polar Wall can more easily get damaged during installation), or do you think he is pushing the Platinum for some other reason?

Thanks for your opinions. Rick

TheWindowNerd

Re: 5500/Prism Platinum vs. Polar Wall/Impressions 9800

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not see any reason that he would be misleading you, he gets to do the work either way.
The 5500/plat will be great for you.

windowmike

#3 Post by windowmike »

So much overlap with Simonton
Are we comparing triple glaze to triple glaze here?
What are other differences? Simonton Sill? Interior or exterior glazing bead?
What are the U values of each?

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

The Polar Wall distributed by Norandex was the 7500 series sold as dealer private label window in the past. We sold this window for a few years and our installers never complained about what you are describing.

Bill