Simonton 5050

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LocalHero

Simonton 5050

#1 Post by LocalHero »

I'm researching inexpensive (cheap) vinyl windows for a rental I own. They're basically 5/0-3/0 and 6/0-3/0 sliders. I've looked at the HD and Lowes offerings, and visited the Pella store and I can't tell much difference between those three. They all run around $175 to $200 per window.
On this forum I get pretty clearly that none of those choices are very popular. The Simonton are carried around here but the series quoted are the 5050 series. Are they any better than the above-mentioned options?

Thanks,
John

thermal99

Re: Simonton 5050

#2 Post by thermal99 »

try the simonton 5500.

LocalHero

#3 Post by LocalHero »

Aren't they more expensive?

thermal99

#4 Post by thermal99 »

a bit more but its more efficient than the 5050.

LocalHero

#5 Post by LocalHero »

Ok, so the 5050's aren't even worth looking at? Are they any better than the lowes stuff? As per my original post, this is a rental and I am looking for cheap.
Still, if the price isn't that much more I might go there. Especially if they seem more idiot (tenant) proof.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

The 5050's qualify for the tax credit. They are every bit as energy efficient as the 5500's. They are a great alternative to much higher priced windows. I often sell them to my customers who are looking for a budget priced window. The welds and extrusions aren't as clean as the 5500 but the warranty is almost identical to the 5500 with the exception of the glass seal which is a tiny bit different after the first 20 years. Other than that they are made with the same vinyl, balance, Intercept Spacer and glass as the 5500.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

I agree, the 5050 would be a great choice for a rental property, or other situations where the budget is tight.

LocalHero

#8 Post by LocalHero »

As a rental, I'm interested in knowing how the various parts are built for durability. For sliders I'm mainly interested in the rollers and how the screen lock-in system works. I'm a strong guy and often don't realize how difficult it can be for a slight built woman to operate a clunky window. As for the screens; I'm leery of the ones with the little spring loaded pins that you pull out to release the screens from their track. Those little pin systems seem to break really easily and they're on the ugly side imo.
Simonton doesnt' have much info on their website about those type of details.

Also, these are replacements that I'm going to squeeze tight to the brick dimensions. Are the replacements built with a smooth "box shape" for the outer jamb walls? Again, I don't see where I can get an architectural rendering of the windows via the simonton site. Usually they have a "builder's section" or something like that where I can get those specifics.

The places around here that carry Simonton are not all that close and are not open on weekends. I'm not likely to get there today.

Thanks for the help and opinions,
John

Bill

#9 Post by Bill »

The 5050 is actually a decent window we sell a ton of them and never have any problems. IMO it’s the best windows in the lower price end. As Sky wrote the double hung has the same heavy duty balance system as the higher end Simonton windows and can be upgraded for the tax credit.

Many manufacturers use their double hung main frame with a slider sill snapped in to build their slider window. Simonton has a separate extrusion for the slider main frame that has a support wall in the frame directly under the sash to support the weight of the sliding glass panel.

The screens are top loaded into a channel with leaf springs and I highly recommend upgrading the screen frame to extruded aluminum.

The main frame is a box frame for the type of retrofit installation you have described.

The Reflections line warranty for rental and commercial properties is 10 years on all materials

LocalHero

#10 Post by LocalHero »

Follow up...
I ordered the 5050 windows today thru ABC Supply only I got the "Grand Estates" window that Simonton makes for ABC. ABC rep tells me that it's the exact same window, not a thing different except that as part of the deal with Simonton, the Grand Estates window comes with a 25yr accidental breakage warranty added onto the glass. That and the fact that he threw in the extruded screen frames AND that the Grand Estates actually cost a few $ less than the Simonton branded windows and I couldn't pass it up.
I'm not sure what the difference was between the regular screen frames and the extruded ones but since he threw the upgrade in for free I'm happy to have it.

Thanks for all the help here!

John

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good luck with the install.

Keep us posted. We always like follow up stories.

LocalHero

#12 Post by LocalHero »

Will do. They should come in next Tuesday and if work is still slow, I'll get them in right away.

LocalHero

#13 Post by LocalHero »

I finally got started on the windows on Sunday afternoon. I got 3 of the 4 in and I'm happy to report that they seem fine for my purposes. The only trouble I had was one window was missing the screen and another had the "receiver" of the lock ripped out of it's moorings. The lock half and screws were in the package and it was only one lock out of two on the window....I'm not sure if it was dropped or what but it seemed OK otherwise.

Is there a trick to getting those screws to grab well again? With wood frames of course I could just glue a shim of wood in the hole but I'm not sure what to do with vinyl. A larger screw wouldn't be a good fit with the lock.

I forgot to call ABC today to tell them about the screen....

Thanks for the help and opinions on the board!
I've ordered a couple of the 5500 series for a customer so I'll get to see what they're like too.

John

shamu

#14 Post by shamu »

You should be able to relocate the lock and keeper and still be able to cover the old holes left from the original location. Some keepers are slotted and allow the keeper to be adjusted one direction or the other. Be careful when putting the keeper screws in, don't let them angle toward the glass as they could be long enough to hit the edge of the glass. If you can't move them enough to cover the old holes, get the supplier to order a new sash or sashes. The windows were probably shipped locked and could have been dropped as you stated. The keeper screws usually just go into vinyl and not any reinforcement as the locks screws should and pull out easier. Some manufacturers ship their windows unlocked for just this reason.

Bill

#15 Post by Bill »

Simonton ships all their windows locked and I have seen this before. Simonton has a screw that has a slightly courser thread that will go into the same hole and secure the keeper without relocating it.

Call Simonton and ask for their service dept and explain the problem and they will send the screw.

I have a bag of the screws and if you have a PO box or a business address I can mail them.