Options for a long slider

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LocalHero

Options for a long slider

#1 Post by LocalHero »

I have a customer who wants a 7/0 - 3/6 slider and wants it in two panels. Simonton only goes up to 6/0 for their two panel sliders. She's read something from Consumer Reports about Reliabilt (Lowes) and is going to get it there unless I can come up with a better suggestion. Any Ideas?

This question is about a new construction window but I figure the same recommendations would follow thru. I apologize in advance if it's inappropriate for this forum.

Thanks,
John

randy

Re: Options for a long slider

#2 Post by randy »

The truth is, there's a reason why a reputable company like Simonton won't make a two lite slider that large - the vinyl frames can't handle it. A vinyl window that large will have issues.
She would be much better off going with a three lite slider. I don't know of any vinyl manufacturer that would make what she wants, possibly fiberglass but then it will cost a lot more.

buddy110

#3 Post by buddy110 »

Marvin will make it, though it won't be cheap

LocalHero

#4 Post by LocalHero »

My guess is that she'll choose to go with the less expensive Reliabilt. I'll just try to make sure I have lots of support under the bottom rail to give it all stability. With extra care in the installation it'll probably be ok.

Thanks for the comments.
John

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

Simonton will make a slider that size.

84" (T) X 42" (T) 5500 Reflections White Slider (XO); Tip-to-Tip; BOX; ETC Super Solar; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Regular Strength; Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; A2 Mtg Rail/Stile; Tape Applied; Two White; Logo Lock; Corrosion Resist Roller/Glide; Sill Extender (UI=126"); DP:Res; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.26

LocalHero

#6 Post by LocalHero »

I'm not sure I can follow the simonton site to get the available window sizes but in the new window sizes the two lite sliders stopped at 72". That series is called the "Brickmold 600". I can't get their window sizes pdf to load right now and it doesn't seem to be that I can download it for some reason.
I looked again at the replacement window sizes and it does look like in the 5500 sizes they go up to 96". I'll have to check with ABC Supply again on Monday but is there any reason you can think of that they'd not go bigger in the new window catagory?

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

The widest catalog size for the BM 600 is 72 but the widest make size is listed below. They can go wider with the 5500 slider because it’s a stronger main frame and sash. The 5500 is available with an integral nailing fin.

78" (T) X 42" (T) ProFinish Brickmould 600 White Slider (XO); Tip-to-Tip; BM; Intercept; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Full Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; A2 Mtg Rail/Stile; Two White; Plain; Corrosion Resist Roller/Glide (UI=120"); DP:25; Test Number=74592.01; U-Factor:.31; SHGC:.28

LocalHero

#8 Post by LocalHero »

Thanks for that info Bill. I'll still plan to call ABC Supply on Monday and I'll look into the 5500 series specifically. (that is if the customer doesn't order a window from Lowes this weekend.)