Sunrise Essentials: Now Installed, Update

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
OneBowl

Sunrise Essentials: Now Installed, Update

#1 Post by OneBowl »

Since I would have appreciated some post-installation updates on particular windows, I'll post mine and perhaps help someone else in the process.

Background:
13 double hungs needed to replace 60+ year old single pane original windows

Brands Considered and Outcome:
Alside Excalibur - board postings here pretty much scared me away. I didn't particularly like the look either.
Northeast - vendor/installer was unprofessional. Pass.
Soft-Lite - couldn't find local carrier before replacement window shopping fatigue set in
Okna - company itself couldn't point me to a local provider (and I'm only 40 miles away). When I found one, I just didn't get a good vibe from the provider. Then there was the foam fill issue.
Sunrise Vanguard - too expensive for my budget
Gorell - I like competition and Gorell seems to have exclusive territories that go against that. Seems like a good product, but frame was very. very bulky and loss of glass area would have been significant. Expensive. Didn't like "If you want Gorell, then you have to buy it from me" dealer attitude.
The there were a few others which names escape me at the moment.

And the winner was:
Sunrise Essentials at $407 each for basic window, installed, capped, etc.

My review:
I'm thrilled with the product. They look great and operate perfectly. The improvement was instantly noticeable. I realize many of the pros on this board may see this as a lower end alternative but the key is they were perfect for my situation and budget. Some would say the frame is too thin, but I didn't want frames that look as bulky as 2x4s. There is no noticeable loss of glass areas in my situation (technically there is some, but so far, not a single person has noticed). Of course, only time will tell how they perform and hold up in the long run, but I'm extremely pleased with the purchase.

Other points:
1. I would highly, highly recommend that you be present during installation. Chances are you'll see something during the process you'd like to ask about or have them explain or change. That's pretty easy during or right after the installation of the first window, not so easy after you come home from work and all are installed, capped and the truck is gone.
2. Be aware that the purpose of this board is not 100% to help the rookie window buyer. There is a lot of great info here, but many posts have different motives behind them.
3. There is no such thing as the single "best" window for everybody. Many factors come into play, such as the application, cost, features, performance and appearance.
4. Certainly do your due diligence and incorporate opinions from this board into your decision, but buy what's best for you and your budget. The only person you need to please is yourself (well, and the spouse usually).
5. Man, am I ever glad this is over. Good luck to all.