Good Deal? (Okna 500 Windows)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bkim84

Good Deal? (Okna 500 Windows)

#1 Post by bkim84 »

I have a quote for Okna 500 windows installed. All exteriors capped properly.

17 Double Hung Vinyl Okna 500 Series Insultec Deluxe - foam filled, heatshield glass

2 Bay Windows - 4 Section Open L-L-R-R
Hip Roof on Top of Bay Windows

Windows installed using cable support system.

There will be no painting or staining.

The complete quote I received is $12,000, is this a good deal? Thanks.
Last edited by bkim84 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows Dun-Rite

Re: Good Deal? (Okna 500 Windows)

#2 Post by Windows Dun-Rite »

Ah Yeah! I wouldn’t touch it for that. Especially with the box bay. It makes me angry to see jobs under sold at the installer’s expense. I would take the time to check out several of their installations. It takes many years to become a window installation pro. And by pro I mean no job too tough, no matter what the interior, the exterior no matter what a pro can hang bays, bows, box bays or bows built on site if necessary cut an opening in brick or anything else to have a place to put it and when done it’s beautiful. And the customer can’t tell you enough how good it looks and can’t wait to tell their friends and neighbors what a good job you did on their home. Then you drag your tired but back to turn in an invoice and it’s “How does it look?” It’s perfect you exclaim, beautiful! “Great gosh thanks’ we knew we could count on you you’re the best.” But wait, what’s this bill for $1500.00 are you nuts? After I pay the salesman his or her $2000.00 the job will lose money.” My response, I guess you should recoup the lose from whom ever spent two to four hours underselling the job. But I just worked my butt off for three days making you look like a king so not my problem. This is more than what you wanted to hear so sorry but that is a very good price I hope they do a good job. PS I say this knowing nothing about that particular window. I have never seen one.

cynthia

#3 Post by cynthia »

You may want to check out the problems with OKNA windows selling foam insulated, but then no foam! http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/inv ... ndowizards

Speaking of Foam... how necessary is foam for a less than 1400 foot condo if we are looking at Harvey Windows Classic vinyl replacements?

Windows Dun-Rite

#4 Post by Windows Dun-Rite »

Well, There you have it.... Thank's Cynthia.

bkim84

#5 Post by bkim84 »

OK, this is not for a new construction, this is for a replacement. I will check out the problems with the Okna windows, I did hear good things though, guess I didn't hear everything.

bierhere

#6 Post by bierhere »

I completed an installation of Okna windows about 3 weeks ago. I did 1 Bay ( 2 casements and a picture windows, 600 series ), 6 500 Series Deluxe Slides, and 3 610 Awnings.

I'm very pleased with the windows. The quotes I received for the Okna bay were lower than other manufactures and it looks great. Since people mentioned Harvey, a Harvey bow was going to cost me 1000 more than the Okna. I asked for quotes on both a bow/bay for Okna and they were the same which kind of surprising as I was expecting the bay to be more. It was a largest effort to install it. I had 2-3 guys for 4-6 hrs for just the bay window. It was replacing a 4 window bow. There was no need for roofing since it is sitting under a large overhang. They did have to do a lot of work to cable it up through the overhang. Since I was doing Vinyl siding as well, it was easy for them to make it look great since the whole house was being covered up in the end.

In our case, the largest work was cutting out the old aluminum windows frames

In terms of the price, its seems close to what I ended up paying. The only thing I can't really tell you was whether the capping was included in the breakdown of the window pricing or the vinyl since that was separately itemized.

But as everyone says, make sure to get 3-4 quotes, work with someone who is BBB A+, and ask for references. I had three quotes, but all different installers and different window manufactures.