Need help!- What to do

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
golfer123

Need help!- What to do

#1 Post by golfer123 »

I am looking to replace my windows. I don't know anything about it. I have looked at Lowe's and Home Depot, but I'm not sure how much it should cost (windows, installation, etc...). Where do you guys recommend I start? Also, could somebody give me a quick estimate? I am looking to do around 10 windows, vinyl, and double pane, but that's about all I know.

Thanks

TheWindowNerd

Re: Need help!- What to do

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

IMO avg = $510-550 for a top performer

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Since we don't know:

1. where you live
2. current window type (aluminum, wood)
3. rotted wood to be replaced
4. access (first floor, second floor, highrise)
5. grids between the glass, simulated divided lites
6. single hungs, double hungs, casements
7. white, tan, two-tone
8. double pane or triple pane

there's no way we can give you a "quick estimate" that will accurate. And by spouting off a number we would be doing both you and your future contractor a disservice.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Call a couple of local contractors and try to get an idea of what's available in your area and what the charge is for different quality windows and features. Then come back here and give us some details and we will try to help you seperate the wheat from the chafe.That's the best way to get started.

golfer123

#5 Post by golfer123 »

All right, I'll get more information first. But for now, I live in a big city in California, 2 story house, looking at white vinyl windows, double pane, regular windows w/ no grids.

Thanks

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

I thought CalGreen just took affect. Check with your local gov't 1st if you don't know where to start.

bierhere

#7 Post by bierhere »

My experience with Home Depot was they were more expensive than local contractors who I thought had equally good options at least on the windows side.

I did use them for installation of a vinyl Anderson slider door when I first moved into my house which I thought was expensive on labor, but since it was only 1 thing, I didn't feel like running around for quotes, and it was installed quickly and well done. But because HD sells a standard molding package, I ended up with a lot of extra since the contractor didn't need it and I had payed for it. The moldings now sit in my garage.

I think if you can get any references from neighbors or friends for a good contractor that might be the way to go.