Is is worth it to replace 10yr old windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cincinwindow

Is is worth it to replace 10yr old windows

#1 Post by cincinwindow »

New to this board but looking for some advice and help.

I have a house that was built 10 years ago. It was done by a large builder in the Cincinnati Oh area. We decided at the time of construction not to "upgrade" the windows to low E. We spent money in other areas. We have a two story family room with a wall of window 2 double hung and 5 picture. Our first summer in the house we roasted with the morning sun so we had a reputable window tinting company put a tint on all the windows in the back of the house which help tremendously with that.

Now 10 years later in the winter its seems all the windows in the family room are leaking air plus other windows in the house(some that were not tinted) I put up that insulating plastic film on the windows and it helped but after a few weeks the film "popped" I can feel the cold breeze when I sit on the couch near the windows.

There are no visual problems or defects with the windows. I thought they would "cheap" builder grade. Until I looked up the brand and discovered this web site and maybe they are not that bad.

The only information I can find on the widows labels are
Simonton and norandex-reynolds. My house drawings do not reference a specific model but have numbers like 3050 A twin and 5050 A fixed.

I have caulked the outside of the windows in the past few years. I am sorry for the long story but

My wife hates to be cold and I think these windows are really impacting my heating bill.

Can windows go bad in 10 years? Are simonton builder grade windows from 10 years ago "Junk". Did I ruin the windows by having the film applied?

I have Champion windows 5 minutes from my house so I will contact them but I am really looking for a window to lower my energy bill. I live on a top of a hill and it is always windy which does not help either.

Thanks in advance for help.

HomeSealed

Re: Is is worth it to replace 10yr old windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm a little unclear as to what your original windows are, as I'm not familiar with any partnership between Simonton and Norandex Reynolds. I do think its safe to say that if you had a "builder grade" window installed 10 yrs ago, it likely was subpar and has gotten worse. Replacing all of your windows may or may not be a wise financial choice, although it would certainly be an improvement. That being said, neither I nor any of the pros here would recommmend Champion.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Norandex does have a private label Simonton window in house.

The Champion window is not a bad product. I am not sure that it is worth what they charge for it.

whaas

#4 Post by whaas »

I think it is very well possible that they could be bad. I bought a home that was 3 years old and the windows where a little drafty.

I've since moved into a 15 year old home...some windows are very drafty and some are fairly airtight. It may depend on where the home may have settled in various areas.

My experience with Champion is negative. In fact one of the worst, they have an overpriced product to boot.

Based on my research (so far) it sounds like you may need a window with a very high Air Infiltration rating.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

whaas wrote:I think it is very well possible that they could be bad. I bought a home that was 3 years old and the windows where a little drafty.

I've since moved into a 15 year old home...some windows are very drafty and some are fairly airtight. It may depend on where the home may have settled in various areas.

My experience with Champion is negative. In fact one of the worst, they have an overpriced product to boot.

Based on my research (so far) it sounds like you may need a window with a very high Air Infiltration rating.
You mean to say "low" here. FYI.

I know what you mean, the consumer may not.

whaas

#6 Post by whaas »

You bet, good catch. I was meaning to say highly rated.