TI, simonton, alside, lansing windjammer... HELP!!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bobtu

TI, simonton, alside, lansing windjammer... HELP!!

#1 Post by bobtu »

Thermal industries triple pane (not sure of model number yet) = $750 a window (Alenco)
Simonton 5500 = $650 a window (independent guy)
Alside Sheffield = $540 a window (independent guy)
Windjammer 80 = $360 a window (independent guy)

All prices are installed.

Thinking of getting 11 double hung and a couple of 1/2 moons installed. Was thinking of leaving the existing 7 double pane picture windows on the east side of the house...

Current windows are about 10 years old (same as house). Heating is $170 a month and cooling is $250 a month (both level pay). Windows are drafty and the ones on the west side of the house are of course hot. I live near Kansas City.

Trying to understand if the difference in cost is worth it.

Any comments or suggestions???

Thanks a ton!

TheWindowNerd

Re: TI, simonton, alside, lansing windjammer... HELP!!

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Of the models you mention I like the Simonton 5500 best by far.
We do not like to comment on cost as there are regional and company varaibles. Also we have not seen the specifics of your install , nor do we know what the contractor is doing( the specifics).

buddy110

#3 Post by buddy110 »

I keep hearing about the windjammer 360. I think that's an Earthwise window. The name and number sound like a rebadged name and without knowing the CPD# it's hard to say.

I know the owner of Alenco. he's a good guy and the TI window is pretty good. I've never heard anything bad about Simonton either.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy110 wrote:I keep hearing about the windjammer 360. I think that's an Earthwise window. The name and number sound like a rebadged name and without knowing the CPD# it's hard to say.

I know the owner of Alenco. he's a good guy and the TI window is pretty good. I've never heard anything bad about Simonton either.
I think the windjammer is a private label window for Lansing Building supply. I thought that it was an Atrium window.

bobtu

#5 Post by bobtu »

anthony wrote:Of the models you mention I like the Simonton 5500 best by far.
We do not like to comment on cost as there are regional and company varaibles. Also we have not seen the specifics of your install , nor do we know what the contractor is doing( the specifics).

Totally understand your points...

I guess what I'm looking for is contractor aside, Is the Simonton a $200 better window than the windjammer 80 (window cost only) and why? There are some obvious thing (more dead air spaces) that I can see what make it a better window... the local distributor for simminton and windjammer is pushing the 80's saying the cost is not worth the benefit...

but I am looking for a few more opinions... is the benefit worth the added cost?

Thanks!!

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The price differential is more than just product cost.
The windjammer price is supicously low.

bobtu

#7 Post by bobtu »

anthony wrote:The price differential is more than just product cost.
The windjammer price is supicously low.

the windjammer I quoted directly from the distributor... a friend of a friend.. so I suppose that cost is only marked up once...

the simmonton was quoted from a contractor so there is his mark up as well.

So what I'm really trying to understand is all things being equal (same installer, etc), "Is the simmonton 5500 THAT MUCH BETTER than the windjammer 80 to account for the cost difference (whatever that may be)"?

Integra

#8 Post by Integra »

Your buddy who quoted you the Windjammer from Lansing Building Products can also sell you the Simonton windows as well. They handle them also.

It is my understanding that they are made for them by Atrium - as stated earlier. But given the options, I'd opt for the Simonton personally. Solid company, OUTSTANDING reputation for supporting their product.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Atrium window is not bad, but I would like to see that Simonton re-quoted in a direct capacity as well. The delta may not bee that bad.

bobtu

#10 Post by bobtu »

Windows on Washington wrote:The Atrium window is not bad, but I would like to see that Simonton re-quoted in a direct capacity as well. The delta may not bee that bad.

Nope... it's not.. only 30-40 a window.

Thanks for everyone's help!