Trouble closing vinyl double-hungs

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
beekrock

Trouble closing vinyl double-hungs

#1 Post by beekrock »

I recently had 9 Reliabilt replacement double-hung vinyl windows installed in my home and 4 out of the 9 don't seem to close correctly. There is a vinyl groove on each sash of the window which are supposed to interlock, but some of the windows need to be pushed in hard and then pushed down in order for them to interlock. The window installer told me that "double-hung windows are supposed to be pushed in and then down in order to close", but only half of my windows require this.

Is the installer B.S.ing me, or is this truly the case with double-hung windows?

HomeSealed

Re: Trouble closing vinyl double-hungs

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

It is normal for the bottom sash to pull the upper one down a little bit sometimes when you close it, but you really shouldn't have to push it in to engage the interlock. A lot of manufacturers ship their windows unlocked, so the interlocks can have a little difficulty when they are brand new. If this is the case, leave them closed and locked for a week or two and see if the condition improves.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

The Lowes reliabilt window in most areas is made by Jeldwen. Lowes just has them made under the Reliabilt name as an exclusive product. Most of the big box stores have an exclusive product made for their own private label. Just like many other doublehungs sometimes they have issues at the meeting rail where the interlocks are suppose to seal. In most cases it's caused by pulling the lower sash down to fast which drags the upper sash down at the same time. The "pile" weatherstripping on a new window is a bit firm and snug. The lower sash can pull the upper sash down until it breaks in.

In your case it sounds more like you have to push the top of the lower sash into the upper sash in order to get the interlocks to clear one another. There could be a couple issues that cause this situation. Depending on the window size you could have a bow in one of your sashes. This happens occasionally and causes the interlocks to overlap when closing. I've also had to adjust the interlocks because of a bend or poor gapping to make them clear each other. Don't try to do this yourself, it could snap off and void your warranty. The other problem is usually installation related. If the window isn't vertically plumb the two sashes will not properly meet at the rail. One will tend to lean in or out from the other. I see it more on patio doors and horizontal sliders than I do a doublehung, but it does happen.

Every Lowes store has an "Installed Sales Office" located at the front of the store. You can call the store and punch "7" when the automated greeting starts. This will take you to their office. Tell them your unhappy with the function of those windows and want them to work like the others. Have them send out another installer if the original one doesn't satisfy your needs. If they can't do it have them send out the factory rep to find the problem. Just stand firm with them and they'll get it all fixed for you. Good Luck!!!

beekrock

#4 Post by beekrock »

Guy- Thanks a ton for your help!

I definitely think it's installation related because, as you coincidentally mentioned, I have the same problem with mt sliding patio door! I did b!tch to Lowes at the Installed Sales office and a guy came out today and just kept downplaying the problems and he didn't do ANYTHING to fix the problem. I'm looking to sell my house in the next month or so and these guys keep dragging there feet. I guess I'll have to go back in and complain some more tomorrow. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

beekrock

#5 Post by beekrock »

Any idea if the window interlocking issue or patio door catching as it closes will cause an inspection issue when it's time to sell? I would imagine that an inspector may think there is a structural problem that's causing it.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't think very many inspectors would think it is a "structural" issue. They will probably just mention that the windows are either subpar quality or installed improperly which is true.