AMSCO windows - Serenity Series - Sound control windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
houseostyle

AMSCO windows - Serenity Series - Sound control windows

#1 Post by houseostyle »

The are energy efficient but are these good for a warm climate like Southern Louisiana?
I want an energy efficient window that blocks sound.
These have a low U-factor, Low SHGC, High STC rating - with low E option.

http://www.amscowindows.com/serenityseries.asp

Does anyone have any input on these windows?

Thanks
Last edited by houseostyle on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will91

Re: AMSCO windows - Serenity Series - anyone have input on these

#2 Post by Will91 »

I took a very close look at Amsco here in Colorado and they were my second choice next to Simonton. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on this board about Amsco - perhaps it is because they are based in Salt Lake City and most folks here seem to be in the East. Amsco uses Cardinal IG in their argon filled windows and Cardinal is an excellent company. Mikron is another supplier - one of the largest vinyl extruders in North America. I'm not sure what manufactuer IG they are using for this Serenity series. The construction of this window is interesting and it was not available when I was looking at Amsco just a few months ago. It appears they are making a sound dampening window without using the traditional PVB interlayer. Are you looking for sound reduction? I would give serious consideration to this window.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have seen the window. Seemed to be solid. Don't have much working knowledge outside of that.

houseostyle

#4 Post by houseostyle »

Amsco is new to my area I found this window by searching online for windows and STC rating. - I too was surprised to have not found any discussion on this window on the board I was given an estimate of $500/ window installed which seemed excellent for the specs - it looks like a solid product - I will have a quote by weeks end. Yes I am looking for sound reduction Thanks.

Will91

#5 Post by Will91 »

The only thing I didn't like about the Amsco was the glazing bead. It is a thin, flappy sort of thing and not as rigid or stout as the Simonton glazing bead. It also didn't have a durometer seal like the Simonton. Also, as I recall, the sliders couldn't meet ETC requirements unless you went with the Cardinal 366 package - but please check that as it has been a while. Again, I really loved the fact that Cardinal is making their IG's (at least the ones that are argon filled). If you look at the Cardinal site, their IG's are quite sophisticated IMHO. They use a time proven box style spacer, and a double seal. If you Google Cardinal's Residential Guide, you can read all about it. Oberon turned me on to this publication. Amsco might be making their own IG's for this Serenity series, however. Let us know what you decide to do.

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Amsco Windows DON'T have any labor warranty at all. The Amsco Window dealer is 100% responsible for the warranty/service labor. Amsco gives its dealer a percentage of sales to be used for labor. Most dealers are only offering 1 year if they do the install, zero if they just sell product is what I am seeing out here in California. Most dealers are just telling customers lifetime warranty and don't tell them about the labor. We use to carry Amsco and no longer do because of the labor cost issues. Long term it just didn't make sense for us to sell it.

Here is the copy of the warranty.
http://www.amscowindows.com/AMSCO_Warra ... 9_0701.pdf

In Southern California most window manufacturers give a lifetime labor warranty to the primary homeowner. Some manufacturers warranties that Amsco competes against are much stronger for a homeowner. Lifetime labor Warranties - Simonton, Milgard, Green World and Anlin have glass breakage including tempered glass. Superior and Atrium have glass breakage but not tempered. Ply Gem has a lifetime labor warranty but no glass breakage. Amerimax is 20 years labor, has glass breakage but no labor for some of its dealers. MI, Silverline, Empire Pacific, American Integrity have some limits on labor and dont cover glass breakage. I know the East Coast has different warranties on some products.

houseostyle

Re: AMSCO windows - Serenity Series - Sound control windows

#7 Post by houseostyle »

I want to thank everyone so much for your input.

I think I will order 2 Amsco windows and see how I like them before I do the whole house - the window was amazing - it was 2 windows in one - I just had to share pics of the sample I saw. The warranty is not as good as Simonton thats for sure. Simonton looked more durable but in the areas I need sound deadening this will do the job beautifully.