Slimest Profiles for Double Hung

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
leftontheinside

Slimest Profiles for Double Hung

#1 Post by leftontheinside »

Any brand and model suggestions for extremely slim profiles on double hung windows?

I have the original wood windows that need to be replaced and my number one concern is minimizing as much window loss space as possible.

Some guys say I'll lose 2" all around and others say 1" all around.

Windows on Washington

Re: Slimest Profiles for Double Hung

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise and Okna have two of the slimmest profiles of the good vinyl windows out there.

Slimmest profile in a window out there right now is going to be in Fiberglass (Marvin Infinity), however, the Okna and Sunrise are only about 1/4 wider than the Infinity on either side.

You will actually gain some glass depending on the thickness of the wood windows. If you measure from the edge of the interior stop to the edge of glass, I can tell you what the net effect will be.

leftontheinside

#3 Post by leftontheinside »

From the edge of the interior stop to the edge of the glass is 2".

I also need picture windows, they measure at 1-5/8".

Appreciate the info!

Marvin Infinity might be outside my budget, Okna is not availabe in my area so I may need to check out Sunrise.

Any particular series/model for Sunrise? Info on the net gain/loss would be helpful as well!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

What area are you in?

leftontheinside

#5 Post by leftontheinside »

About 1 hour north of Milwaukee.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you do a full tear out you can eliminate glass loss.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Be prepared for high-pressure and high prices if you want the Sunrise Restorations. There is only one company in the area that offers it. The other Sunrise products available are lacking some features comparatively. PlyGem/Great Lakes has a VERY similar product(they were previously owned by the same family) and is more readily available.

buddy110

#8 Post by buddy110 »

Gorell 5100 is pretty slim.
A word of caution: Don't pick the window solely by "thinest profile" criteria. SL does make a good one, but most thin windows are weaker prone to early failures. Be careful what you choose. Run it by the board first.

leftontheinside

#9 Post by leftontheinside »

I had a couple Softlite Element windows put in...my wife is ticked at me that we went from 2" (from edge of inside stop to edge of glass) to 3.25". Otherwise they look fantastic!

I need to find something that doesn't provide such a net loss of glass. Maybe I'm stuck with it but I was hoping there may be something else out there for vinyl that is still a great window but yet has less net glass loss.

If you guys can suggest a brand/model and tell me the net loss (or gain) that would be greatly appreciated.

pondscum

#10 Post by pondscum »

HomeSealed wrote:Be prepared for high-pressure and high prices if you want the Sunrise Restorations. There is only one company in the area that offers it. The other Sunrise products available are lacking some features comparatively. PlyGem/Great Lakes has a VERY similar product(they were previously owned by the same family) and is more readily available.
This situation must be specific to that particular area. When I was window-shopping here in MA last year, I found that the local Restorations dealer offered reasonable prices and no pressure, while the dealer for the high-end Great Lakes model was one of those notoriously bad high-pressure rip-off marketing companies (Google on "Penguin Windows" told me all I wanted to know about them, so I didn't even bother asking for a quote). So, exactly the opposite of what you describe.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

pondscum wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:Be prepared for high-pressure and high prices if you want the Sunrise Restorations. There is only one company in the area that offers it. The other Sunrise products available are lacking some features comparatively. PlyGem/Great Lakes has a VERY similar product(they were previously owned by the same family) and is more readily available.
This situation must be specific to that particular area. When I was window-shopping here in MA last year, I found that the local Restorations dealer offered reasonable prices and no pressure, while the dealer for the high-end Great Lakes model was one of those notoriously bad high-pressure rip-off marketing companies (Google on "Penguin Windows" told me all I wanted to know about them, so I didn't even bother asking for a quote). So, exactly the opposite of what you describe.
You are exactly correct. It depends on the market you are in. There is only Restorations dealer in town and they get about $1200 per opening... No Penguin windows around here although there are a couple other Great Lakes/PlyGem dealers, none are anywhere near as bad as the Restorations dealer in terms of the price and pressure....I know, I used to install for them :(