I need a really good DH replacement window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jmasters

I need a really good DH replacement window

#1 Post by jmasters »

I want to have all 10 of my windows replaced this summer/fall. The exisitng windows are a cheap contractor grade, and they just do not perform well at all. I have been researching windows for some time, and I am just as confused now, as when I started. I know that I want a really good window, and I do not want to have to do this again(we will stay here for 10-20 years). I have an Amish friend who do a tremendous number of window replacements, and though I trust his craftsmanship, I know nothing about the windows he uses. Viwinco is the line he uses, and according to him, they are a good solid well built window. I have also had simonton recomended as well. I live in central Ky, in a 1800 sqft ranch, with a due southern exposure. Can anyone recomend a window based on the info I've given? Any experience with Viwinco, or Simonton? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks, Jeff

Skydawggy

Re: I need a really good DH replacement window

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Either of those windows if installed properly will serve you well. I'd go with what your friend is most familiar and comfortable with. His relationship with the manufacturer is an important factor.

jmasters

#3 Post by jmasters »

The cambridge series that he recomended comes standard with solarban 60, low e glass, argon fill, 3/4 'spacing and single strength glass. 15/16" spacing and double strength glass is available, would it be advisable to get the thicker unit? Sound is a factor for us, as we live somewhat near a set of train tracks. Thanks, Jeff Masters

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd upgrade to double strength as long as the cost doesn't increase more than $10. per window. Double strength will do nothing to reduce sound transmissions and before you ask, neither will going to triple pane glass or using krypton gas instead of argon gas. The only upgrade that will have an effect on sound is laminated glass.

Laminated is a whole different animal. Spend some time searching this site and also ask your friend about the additional cost. If you still want to get into the technical details of the many different configurations and their relative affect on different sound frequencys, we can do that. But only if you really want to know b/c it makes my brain hurt. :lol:

jmasters

#5 Post by jmasters »

HA! Its normally bad beer that makes my brain hurt! The numbers are not really important to me. I put more stock in the opinion of good craftsmen. Would it be worth paying for laminated glass, if the windows were going in your home? If so, how much? I will ask my installer about the cost, and compare the answers. Thanks again for your replies. There is no substitute for first hand conversation . Jeff Masters

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

Always comes down to how much the noise bothers you and how much you are willing to pay to make it go away. :mrgreen:

jmasters

#7 Post by jmasters »

any idea as too how much additional money/unit laminated glass would be? JM

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

It varies depending on the window size. $8-$10 per square foot is a ballpark. The additional benefit you get with laminated glass is security. This is the brand Simonton uses.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk_rYiuZVac

jmasters

#9 Post by jmasters »

So, for the 5 windows facing the noise, average size of 3x5, 150 each would be 750$minimum. Sounds like a cheap price for a lot of peace and quiet. NOw, I've looked over many of the Laminated glass posts, and I can't really get a handle on what the sound ratings mean, and how much sound deadening ability you get for a one point increase in the rating. Any way to clarify this, or describe it for me? thanks again. JM

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

I knew you were going to ask me that. :lol:

Will get back to you.

jmasters

#11 Post by jmasters »

Many thanks for your time and expertice. This forum is such a huge help because of those of you who take the time to respond. Thanks. JM :D

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

Short answer

A change of +/- 10 reduces sound by approx 50%
+/- 5 noticable difference
+/-1 nearly un-noticible

Skydawggy

#13 Post by Skydawggy »

Typical double pane glass has an STC rating around 28. Ratings over 50 can be obtained with a large enough air space and the use of varying thickness of the inner and outer panes of glass. Plus the laminate.

SuperiorW&D

#14 Post by SuperiorW&D »

If you can afford lami glass, go for it, but if not another lesser expensive method for cutting sound is to change one pc of glass to 3/16" (or even 1/4"). However, make sure you keep the air space as that is a huge factor in stc and it's the "why" that triple glazed windows are not good for sound control, in general.

JScott

#15 Post by JScott »

I have never seen an american window exceed 46 and a european window exceed 48. Sky, where do you find 50?

:mrgreen: