Are windows exclusively made for a company/distributor good?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BRUUUUCE

Are windows exclusively made for a company/distributor good?

#1 Post by BRUUUUCE »

The company/distributor I met with said the windows that he installs are a line exclusive for him — American Jewel. He went to manufacturer and told them all the specifics he was looking for in a window and this is what they designed for him. He said it was better than the Alsides he used to carry.

What's everyone's opinion on "exclusive" windows like these? Can they compare to the big, better-known names? Or are they usually junk? This line had triple panes, nice interior decorative trim, higher end glass, rubber spacers not metal, foam on the outer edge for insulation. Seemed logical -- to take the best characteristics of many windows and put them into one. But maybe he was conning me?

Windows on Washington

Re: Are windows exclusively made for a company/distributor good?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Exclusive or private label windows are kind of a joke. There is nothing different about them than the windows that are produced at the factory. Exclusive or private label could be as involved as a specific combination of already offered options (glass package, foam fill, etc) and as cheesy as a specific sticker that is printed up for that window. There is nothing different about that "Exclusive" window than there are the ones coming off the factory floor.

In the case of American Jewel, search around the boards. You will find everything you need to know and why you should avoid it.

canuck

#3 Post by canuck »

he is right, american jewel is not considered a quality window. are looking at only price and do you plan on selling your home within a year? if not,i highly recommend you look at some windows the senior members of this board recommend;ie. gorell,okna,sunrise.

BRUUUUCE

#4 Post by BRUUUUCE »

maybe it's me, but i cannot find anyone in my area (Hunterdon County New Jersey) who installs simonton, okna or sunrise. i've just emailed the companies at their respective Web sites for more information

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

What happened when you entered your zip code on Simontons website?

BRUUUUCE

#6 Post by BRUUUUCE »

got two names sent to me. the one companylocation is too far away. the second one, when I visited their Web site, said they only sell to contractors/professionals, not homeowners

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

That they only sell to contractors isn't unusual. I would ask them if they could provide you with the names and phone numbers of some of their better dealers who buy through them.

BRUUUUCE

#8 Post by BRUUUUCE »

i pursued this further by calling the company and they referred me to an installer in my area. now waiting for him to call me back. my fear is: it is another construction company and it was a construction company that we first dealt with that got us into this mess in a first place. I guess it may be unfair of me to label all construction companies as not the best outfits for this type of job?

anyway, it stinks that the american jewel windows are crap. We really liked the company/installer who we met with yesterday. he's been the only one who provided all the documentation and paperwork up front like they're supposed to in New Jersey plus three sheets of current references with phone numbers. he was also the only one who said he would use wood to finish the interior look of the windows.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

Why don't you talk to the installer you liked and see if he can get the Simontons for you. If he's going to pick them up on a cash and carry basis, I see no reason why it would be that big a deal.

BRUUUUCE

#10 Post by BRUUUUCE »

skydawggy -- and any of the other seasoned pros here -- how would you rank okna, sunrise and simonton amongst each other? simonton as the best?

i assume with each of these three preferred brands there are also different series which you'd rank as good, better and best?

Skydawggy

#11 Post by Skydawggy »

I think most of the differences are mainly opinion. Okna does have better energy efficiency ratings but how much of a difference that translates into outside the testing lab is debateable. You would be happy with any of those windows as long as you get a top notch installation.

BRUUUUCE

#12 Post by BRUUUUCE »

thanks.

For what it's worth, the estimate for the "exclusive" American Jewels was roughly the same as the quote we got for the Great Lakes SeaBrookes. From everyone's comments, neither is really anything to right home about, right?

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

American Jewel certainly is not, Great Lakes makes a nice window however. I would put it right along with Simonton and others.

Skydawggy

#14 Post by Skydawggy »

Given a choice between those 2, I would go with the GL. I don't think anyone has said it's not a decent window. If it's available and fits your budget, go for it.

BRUUUUCE

#15 Post by BRUUUUCE »

that's funny, i could have sworn a bunch of people dogpiled the Seabrookes when i brought them up before -- but i could be mistaken. since i already called the installer about the simontons, i guess it wouldn't hurt to get a number from him and compare it to what I was offered for the Seabrookes and installation.