which of these estimates is the better deal?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BRUUUUCE

which of these estimates is the better deal?

#1 Post by BRUUUUCE »

estimates are for 8 two-lite sliders (roughly 60x46) ... 1 picture window (roughly same size) and two casements (roughly 22x36). white interior, color exterior. Exterior capping. Interior jams trimmed and picture-framed trimming/molding. Glass packages to meet tax credit.

Great Lakes Seabrooke series with triple pane glass $10,725

Simonton 5500s with TC Super Solar package (7/8" insulating glass unit, superspacer, argon gas fill, ProSolar Soft Coat Low E Glass, 1 pane of low E glass) $9,970

I'm assuming the answer will be the Simontons, not because of the price, but because they are Simontons. The Seabrookes are triple pane glass though.

thanks again for all your expertise!

leftontheinside

Re: which of these estimates is the better deal?

#2 Post by leftontheinside »

You may want to also consider the VT ratings. I know some say you can't see the diff. between triple and double pane but I begged a sales guy to bring in a triple pane (VT 43) and doulbe pane (VT 54) and I could visibly see the difference. Now you might not notice if you have just the tirple pane on hand...it will probably just look clear.

Just something to consider if you lean toward the Great Lakes.

canuck

#3 Post by canuck »

comparing a triple and double side by side of course you will see a difference. however,if you look through a triple pane window installed into an opening you will have plenty of clarity. i have all triple pane in my home.

BRUUUUCE

#4 Post by BRUUUUCE »

is that your only hang-up between these two? one estimate isn't clearly a better way to go?

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

It depends on whether the TP is using argon or krypton gas. I think TP with argon gas is a waste of money because the performance differences between TP and a DP are minimal and ceratinly not worth $100 per window more when you consider the TP is going to be a heavier window with a reduced VT. If the TP was using krypton, then I think it would be the better buy. Why don't you have them quote both the Simonton with TP so you can compare them equally and quote the Seabrooke with DP. That's assuming you don't mind the reduced VT. Get an actual glass sample so you can be sure.

BRUUUUCE

#6 Post by BRUUUUCE »

please don't laugh at me ... but what is VT? I assume it's something dealing with the tint of the window/how much you can see through it.

Also, the SeaBrookes have a U factor of .24 and the SHGC is .23. Is that SHGC okay for New Jersey? I forget ... I know someone had mentioned suggested SHGCs for this region
Last edited by BRUUUUCE on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with Sky that you should get quotes on comparable glass packages so that you can compare apples to apples. Typically I like to see krypton with triple pane as well, but the great lakes triple pane with argon is usually priced pretty aggressively and nets a nice gain. That package is usually around a .23 ufactor, .25 shgc compared to their dp of .30, .30.... Should cost around $50ea or so for that upgrade.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

BRUUUUCE wrote:please don't laugh at me ... but what is VT? I assume it's something dealing with the tint of the window/how much you can see through it.
You're exactly correct. It is "visible transmittance" and has to do with how much light is allowed through. Some people make more of a big deal about it than others... personally, I wouldn't give it a whole lot of thought unless you have a very dark room and you need to squeeze every bit of light out than you can get.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

IMO, you're still in fine shape at a .23 shgc, however it is on the low end of where you want to be in that climate... Anywhere between .23-.30 should serve you well.

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

For the $800 difference in price you would get more bang for your buck by using that moey to put towards more attic insulation or a new front door or storm door. In the larger scheme of things you are not going to increase the overall R-value of that wall by anything significant. Thedifference in savings between a U-factor of .24 and .29 very minimal at best. I doubt your total saving on 8 windows would be much more than $50 per year.