Is this a good deal?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dyan

Is this a good deal?

#1 Post by dyan »

Hi -

I live in San Jose, California and recently got a quote to replace my single pane windows on a 2br/2ba condo. The following is being replaced:
- Two 6 x 5 bedroom windows
- Two sils (stool and apron) for the two windows above
- One 8 x 7 sliding glass door for the living room and siding / casing.

The price is $1,750 (USD) which includes all parts and labor. The brand of the window is Allside and the glass is clear dual pane with white vinyl siding. While, I went with the dual pane, I did not select the Low E or Low E3 glass. The install does not include painting.

Is this a good deal? It seems to be the cheapest quote I've received so far. I'd appreciate any feedback / thoughts.

thanks, david

TheWindowNerd

Re: Is this a good deal?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Cheap does not normally = good in windows and doors.
How long do you plan on being there?
You should use ETC(energy tax qualified) products and get the 30% tax credit.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

I agree with Anthony. Why wouldn't you want the comfort windows with loE glass provide and the tax credit? Have the contractor requote with the upgrades. Remember, the tax credit is 30% of the materials price. I find it very strange someone gave you an estimate without mentioning this to you. What model of Alside window was this quote based on? Alside is one of the lower quality brands. In California you be better off with either Simonton, Anlin, Amerimax or Milgard.

dyan

#4 Post by dyan »

The price with the Low E is $2,000. Not sure about Low E3, didnt ask for it.

I live nearby a lot of trees and dont have central air/heat so its not so much a decision about energy / comfort. I'm replacing because of the noise, look and feel of new windows. the old ones are aluminum and not in great shape. Plan on staying in the place for another 2 years then using as a rental.

I'm not sure what the model of Alside is.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

OK so for $1750, no tax credit, no energy savings and higher heating and cooling costs as long as you live there.

For $2000 you get a 30% tax credit which makes your after tax credit cost just $1400 plus you get increased comfort and lower utility costs plus you reduce your carbon footprint (if you are into that).

7 years cost without loE and argon........$1750+ 1400 in higher heating and cooling costs= $3150 total spent.
7 years with loE and argon $2000-$600 tax credit=1400-$1400 in savings=$0.00 spent.

How does it make sense not to get the LoE and argon? And what kind of dumb contractor are you dealing with who didn't explain this to you?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Time to change contractors.

That is a sure fire sign of a contractor that does not know their business.

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

To me it's a sign of someone who isn't even in the business. :lol: