Simonton questions, Help!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jmasters

Simonton questions, Help!

#1 Post by jmasters »

Ok guys, I have some quotes in, and I am leaning toward the simonton Platinum/5500. It has always been quoted with the low e 366, and I always ask for the super spacer. After going back and rereading some posts, I am concerned that I might need the prosolar package instead for the higher shgc. I live in Mid Ky, with 1/2 the windows facing due west, getting allot of afternoon sun. It does get cold here though, so which will cost more, overcoming the loss of passive heat, or the cooling? Also, do I need the strenghtened meeting rail? I am still interested in lami glass for the sound deadening, are there other options in the 5500/platinum that would help with sound? This board has been a great help, thanks for all the input. Jeff Masters

Bill

Re: Simonton questions, Help!

#2 Post by Bill »

I would get the 1” glass pack with the laminate glass for sound. When we select laminate glass the Simonton order entry system will default to Super Spacer but will remain a ¾” glass pack. We have to manually select 1” glass to receive it.

The 1” glass would perform a bit better for sound and you can see in the specifications below that the 1” glass has better energy performance #’s and qualifies for the tax rebate.

Regarding the use of low-e 366 we typically do not use it in New Jersey but possibly WOW who has the energy audit training can advise you.

The cost of the two windows below is exactly the same.

36" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; 1'' IGU Thickness; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Laminated All Inside; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Sill Extender (UI=86"); DP:25; Test Number=91631.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.26; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

36" (T) X 50" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Laminated All Inside; Regular Strength; Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Sill Extender (UI=86"); DP:25; Test Number=91631.01; U-Factor:.31; SHGC:.26; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s): North Central, South Central, Southern.

jmasters

#3 Post by jmasters »

Thanks Bill, The updated quotes I received today, included Lami glass. I was very impressed with the price, which was only an 800 upgrade for 10 windows. The saleswoman indicated that she could not make the 72x80 sliding glass door with lami glass, and have it meet the tax credit numbers. Is this correct? There seems to be so many options in these windows, that it gets a little confusing. I am considering getting the door in lami glass even if it does not qualify, because I will be so close to the upper threshold that the difference will be minimal. Also, I forgot to ask for grids, any idea as to the cost to add those? Will Simonton do grids such as 3 over 1? I really like that look, and would like to have it if it is available. thanks again. I really appreciate all the input! Jeff

Bill

#4 Post by Bill »

She is correct the 5500 patio door will not qualify for the energy tax credit with laminate glass.

Simonton will produce the grid pattern you described. There are several types of grids flat, sculptured and 1” contour; get the pricing from your rep but it’s not very expensive to have grids in the upper sash.