Simonton glass packages

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jmasters

Simonton glass packages

#1 Post by jmasters »

I have quotes on the simonton Platinum 1"igu super spacer laminated glass which they call ndxsecure, low e prosolar, aluminum at the meeting rail. With the prosolar, and 1 "igu the u factor is 30, shgc is 24, for a single double hung unit. The dp is a 55. I live in Ky with an east west exposure, and we get allot of hot sun in the rear windows. Would it be prudent to look at the etc super 366 glass or are there other options from Simonton that would be more advantageous for my situation? Are glass upgrades worth the increase cost when you get to this level of efficiency? I can compare the numbers on all of the different windows, but I don't really know the difference between a 24shgc, and a 20shgc. How much more will I save by % if I go for a u factor of 28 vs 30. I appreciate all the help, and I hope you can help me decypher all these numbers. Thanks again for your time, This board is a really big help! Jeff Masters

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton glass packages

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Jeff,

I am not sure why you were quoted Laminated glass. That is typically reserved for coastal/impact applications or persons that need to all but eliminate any UV transmission.

The Laminated glass will drive up the DP slightly but a DP-55 is probably overkill for your application.

A DP-55 is the equivalent of a 180 mph wind speed: http://www.qtitest.com/SP-PressureChart.htm

Kentucky is still a heating degree dominated climate and you therefore spend more money heating your home than cooling it. By going to too low an SHGC, you will eliminate nearly all of the passive solar heating rays that are beneficial in the winter months.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/uni ... ouisville/

An SHGC of 0.24 is plenty low for your region. Numbers that get near the teens and 0.20 range are reserved for climates that are cooling degree dominated (AZ, TX, FL, etc) If you need to control solar radiation more than that, you should look into a cellular shade. It is entirely likely that your attic insulation is not up to par and that is contributory to your summer heat problems.

The 1" glass pack from Simonton is a nice one but I think you might be over spending for the laminated glass on some level. A U-Factor of 0.30 is good and does qualify for the Energy Start Tax Credit, but we would, of course, like to see a lower number.

jmasters

#3 Post by jmasters »

Thanks WoW for the reply. I had requested the laminated glass for some sound issues we have from some train tracks about 1/4 mile away. It raises the cost of all the units about 1800$, which we are debating. Do you think the prosolar package is adequate for my area? The only thing that changes if I upgrade to the ect366 package is the shgc which drops to a 20. I think that is a little low for our area. can you ecommend a sliding door unit that will meet the ETC with laminated glass? Even sionton hasn't been able to do it yet. Any other brands that I should be looking at? Thanks again! Jeff Masters

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Not a technical answer but based on experience the Pella designer series triple glazed door is very quiet.
I do not see laminated on any of mt PD offerings, a special request might be needed to find out.

jmasters

#5 Post by jmasters »

Can anyone recommend a different simonton glass pack that might be more appropriate for my area? I would like to have a lower u factor, depending on the cost to upgrade. My best quote at this time is 5800, for 10 dh 3x5 described as above, and 1 slider. I guess what I am asking, is , are there better windows out there, that will be more efficient, for the same, or close to the same money. The price was exclusive of installation. Thanks again, for all the help. Jeff Masters

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in KY are you located?

There is a good pro on this board by the name of Jeff Weber. He is out of Louisville and is a good guy with the products and building intelligence to take care of your home.

jmasters

#7 Post by jmasters »

We are about 90 miles from Louisvill, just south of lexington.