Is painted vinyl reliable?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
singlepane

Is painted vinyl reliable?

#1 Post by singlepane »

With suggestions from forum, we started to look for more quote/product options. We have a pretty dark exterior and exposed wood beams interior house. Hence we'd like to have windows with dark color frames inside at least, if possible outside as well. We've checked out fiberglass. The color (usually brown) works. Unfortunately price wise it's always higher. A vendor showed us Milguard painted vinyle called "style line" - it's said to have slimmer frames comparing to "Tuscany". Milguard "style line" has variety of colors to choose from brown to tan. Another option is Anderson Fibrex - said it's made of wood and vinyl finish, also come with variety of colors. My concern is, I heard people said the painted color layer would crack or chip with exposure to sunlight and environment because the painted has different contract/expand rate than vinyl itself. My question to window gurus here are

- Is painted vinyl really a concern in long run?
- What options do I have if I want durable productions but stick with the darker color scheme?

I found I learn a lot from this forum and I truly appreciate it.

singlepane

Re: Is painted vinyl reliable?

#2 Post by singlepane »

Can anyone help on colored/painted vinyl questions?

singlepane

Options for darker color vinyl?

#3 Post by singlepane »

Initially I thought vinyl only comes in while or light color. Hence I went straight to fiberglass. But the price is pretty too. So I wonder what my options are with darker color vinyl and avoid to pay the higher price for fiberglass.

After reading the forum more, I found that vinyl can be colored with various of method: co-extruded, painted, laminated. Which one is better as far as quality is concerned? For Milgard styline and Andersen Fibrex, which method does each use?

buddy110

Re: Options for darker color vinyl?

#4 Post by buddy110 »

singlepane wrote:Initially I thought vinyl only comes in while or light color. Hence I went straight to fiberglass. But the price is pretty too. So I wonder what my options are with darker color vinyl and avoid to pay the higher price for fiberglass.

After reading the forum more, I found that vinyl can be colored with various of method: co-extruded, painted, laminated. Which one is better as far as quality is concerned? For Milgard styline and Andersen Fibrex, which method does each use?
The exteriors foils and capstocks are better than painted vinyl. Both will fade in time like anything exposed to sunlight. Marvin Infinity's finish is more durable but as you said it comes at a cost

singlepane

#5 Post by singlepane »

Buddy110, Could you explain for me what is "exteriors foils and capstocks"? Is it a technique to "color" the vinyl? I guess fade is fine, anything would as you said. We worry about chip and pealing of the color layer. is it common with colored vinyl?

Thanks.

buddy110

#6 Post by buddy110 »

singlepane wrote:Buddy110, Could you explain for me what is "exteriors foils and capstocks"? Is it a technique to "color" the vinyl? I guess fade is fine, anything would as you said. We worry about chip and pealing of the color layer. is it common with colored vinyl?

Thanks.
Foils and capstocks are laminates which are "capped" over the original extrusion to give it color.. A capstock is made from vinyl, a foil is made from alminum (I think). WOW would know more about the foils. I've had very good luck with capstocks in the past. I don't care for painted vinyl. I believe the foils are similar to interior woodgraines which hold up very well.

singlepane

#7 Post by singlepane »

Thanks alot! I learned.
Do you happen to know what type of color method is used by Milgard styline and Andersen Fibrex? Any advice on these two products? As you maybe see from another post, we are thinking of replacing 13+ windows. The quote for vinyl windows (above 12k) is lower than figberglass (of couse). And as long as the vinyl matches the color we need, we'll go with it. The rest is the brand and quality.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't know for certain, but the painting/color process with the Milgard and Andersen is similar to the Marvin in that it is part of the pultrusion/extrusion process during the manufacture of the window frame materials.

All three of those painted finishes will hold up just fine. I still think the Marvin is probably the best of those three.

buddy110

#9 Post by buddy110 »

Windows on Washington wrote:I don't know for certain, but the painting/color process with the Milgard and Andersen is similar to the Marvin in that it is part of the pultrusion/extrusion process during the manufacture of the window frame materials.

All three of those painted finishes will hold up just fine. I still think the Marvin is probably the best of those three.

Marvin's aren't painted. It's a Durion cap stock

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy110 wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:I don't know for certain, but the painting/color process with the Milgard and Andersen is similar to the Marvin in that it is part of the pultrusion/extrusion process during the manufacture of the window frame materials.

"Painted" is a misnomer.

You are correct. I meant colored finishes.

buddy110

#11 Post by buddy110 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
buddy110 wrote:

"Painted" is a misnomer.

You are correct. I meant colored finishes.

How does RBA paint thier vinyl, I mean wood, I mean composite, I mean trex.......

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is painted with fairy dust and hugs unlike the evil vinyl and fiberglass windows.

buddy110

#13 Post by buddy110 »

Windows on Washington wrote:It is painted with fairy dust and hugs unlike the evil vinyl and fiberglass windows.
lol :mrgreen:

Door&WindowPlus

#14 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

The warranty on painted or capped windows is limited. Make sure you read the part of the warranty for the exterior finish. Most only give 10 year warranty. Some don't give any labor at all so you will be paying for labor if something goes wrong.

singlepane

#15 Post by singlepane »

So "paint" is a wrong word for this discussion. I guess I just wonder if the color process of the products Milgard/Andersen/Marvin are technically the same or not.
Do I understand it right WOW said it's similar and will all hold just fine?
Buddy110 are you saying they are not? What is RBA?

Can anyone recommend a vinyl products with dark outside and inside frames? I was told Milgard Style Line only have light colors. Milgard Tuscany has dark outside but inside it's white or tan. Andersen Fibrex has dark outside and light inside too. Seems I have to stay with original wood beams and white window frames? Especially in my living room I have a big 6 panel IGU with wood frame/stopper too.:(