Warranty Comparison

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sophieaugie

Warranty Comparison

#1 Post by sophieaugie »

I have read a lot of the posts here and have used your recommendations to guide me in terms of which windows are worth looking at. I know the Soft Lite windows are a favorite here, but I am concerned about a line in their warranty that says the consumer has to pay shipping/labor for any replacement parts. How does this work in reality? How much will I be looking at for shipping? We've looked at the Milgard Tuscany as well that boasts their lifetime warranty of parts, labor, everything. Of course there is the trade off that the "lifetime" is not transferable with the Milgard. I also read conflicting information about how much the companies stand by their warranties. Any thoughts? When I make my final decision, I just want to be able to weigh all the pros and cons.
Thanks

HomeSealed

Re: Warranty Comparison

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Most manufacturer's have limitations on covering labor. Some are 1, 2 years or more, others offer no labor coverage at all. Many installation companies will cover that cost however as a benefit to their clients. I would not make your decision based on the manufacturer's labor coverage.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

The only way you'll be stuck paying for shipping of parts is if you don't have a local Soft-lite dealer when you need service.

sophieaugie

#4 Post by sophieaugie »

randy wrote:The only way you'll be stuck paying for shipping of parts is if you don't have a local Soft-lite dealer when you need service.
That is kind of what I am worried about. Any idea what the most typical window warranty claims are for, and how much shipping would set me back? I realize it could be something as simple as a failed latch but figure that shipping a piece of glass or window sash could get quite expensive, (on top of installation costs from a local contractor) if my Soft-lite dealer is no longer around. The next closest Soft lite dealer is over 200 miles away and doesn't service my area. Just figure I should take these possible costs into consideration when I make my decision.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Obviously this goes without saying, but I would pick an installation company who is likely to be in business for years to come... Unfortunately, that might not be the company with the "best" price. Hypothetically even if that company did go out of business, there should be a builder supply house close by that has access to Softlite products. The most common replacement part in my experience is a sash, whether there is warpage, IG seal failure, etc, and that usually runs about $50, give or take.

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I am in California and see a lifetime labor warranty on most windows sold here. Other parts of the country have different labor warranties.

Milgard, Simonton, Anlin, Superior, Green World, Ply Gem, Atrium are the big ones with lifetime labor.

Amerimax is 20 years.

Pella, Jeldwen have like 2 years.

Amsco, American Integrity, Cascade and Silverline are the ones with no labor. The dealer should be providing it but most aren't.

Picking a window with a good warranty is important but picking a window installer that is going to be around in 5 years is just as important. Read the warranty before buying.