Trying to make sense of all this (replacing windows)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Arla

Trying to make sense of all this (replacing windows)

#1 Post by Arla »

So we have a 1946 home in Northern CA (Bay Area) which originally had double hung (I have to assume wood) windows, which were all replaced with retrofit (think that's the word, the new window is inside the original wooden frame) aluminum frame windows (either picture, or slider, for the sliders some of these were two double hung side by side that have been replaced with a single larger XOX window (I believe that's normal notation, essentially two sliders, one of each side, and a picture in the middle)) about 25 years ago, and we're looking to replace them all.

So far we've had a few quotes, although the more people we see the more confused I get!

The first quote might have been the only one, but the sales guy took almost two weeks to get back to us with the quote (despite some followup on my part) this alone makes me nervous since I worry that if something is wrong mid-project am I going to be able to contact him? However the company got recommendations from two of my neighbors and it the only one so far recommending Simonton windows, which SEEM to be somewhat recommended here.

We have had two other quotes, both recommended Anlin Coronado windows, I've not seen much negative around the actual company here, but I do see a lot of fear that with the economy the way it is, Anlin could go under, and if that should happen, your lifetime warranty is worthless (which I do understand, but worry that all the "stay away from Anlin" posts could drive them under too).

The one other question that I'm not sure on is when tempered glass is needed near a bath? We've had three installers so far, the first two said tempered glass is needed for our bathroom window since it's near to the tub (within 60" is, if I recall what was stated) the last said it wasn't needed, I'm so confused.

I don't even know what makes to ask about, I've heard not great things about Milgard, although mostly in line of amount of Vinyl, I'm also trying to figure what questions to ask, after looking at a showroom this weekend I now know to ask whether they would take out the aluminum frame, or just cut the window from it and put the vinyl inside that, I can't believe anyone would do the second (leave the aluminum frame in) but from this weekend it looks like maybe some companies do?

toddinmn

Re: Trying to make sense of all this (replacing windows)

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I temper windows that are in the vertical plane of the tub and under 5 feet from the bottom of the tub.If it is to close to call I would temper it.I would probally remove the aluminum from what you're describing.I would search this forum and some others for window brands and get some more quotes.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't say that I know the West Coast offerings that well.

I would certainly entertain some more quotes.

Here is the code for tempered glass: http://dealer.milgard.com/egress--.htm

Arla

#4 Post by Arla »

Thanks for the responses, anything in particular I should be looking for in these extra quotes? So far they seem to be starting to run together, we have a good idea now of what style of windows we want it's really just figuring what company/window brand, I'm fine choosing the company, it's the window brand that I have little idea.

Thanks for the egress/tempering code, good to read it, although as with all things governmental, it's clear as mud :) The window we have in the bathroom isn't actually vertically above the bathtub, but it is within 60 inchs of the drain if you measure at an angle (about 53 inchs) so I THINK that means it needs to be tempered.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

I'd temper it to be safe. An extra $100 - $200 isn't going to be that big of a deal at the end of the day.

jeff1995

#6 Post by jeff1995 »

Simonton is a "local" window factory for you in the bay area. Well regarded here in CA. You might look into Superior Windows, also a local factory. They do not really advertise, but I find it a good company. I have to travel to SFO soon to advise on a condo and these 2 window brands are good mid range choices for me to recommend to clients. As mentioned above, installation is a major factor.

SuperiorW&D

#7 Post by SuperiorW&D »

There are many good window brands to choose from. Choose one that offers a lifetime warranty, that is most of them.

Finding the right dealer/installer is the tough part. Seems to me that you would not have written your note here if the dealer/installers you've talk to so far had made you feel "comfortable".

I learned my lesson a long time ago. If I don't understand and you won't take the time to help me to understand OR you are too pushy....out you go.

The next time one of these guys tells you tempered or no tempered ask him to explain why.

We are talking about thousands of dollars. Feel good about your choice or move on to the next guy.

Arla

#8 Post by Arla »

A couple of them actually have made us feel reasonably comfortable with it (as comfortable as I can feel spending ten thousand dollars (give or take)) my biggest issue is I foolishly started looking at the internet, and worrying about, hmm, if Anlin goes out of business due to the bad economy, are we screwed (lifetime warranty doesn't mean diddly squat if the company no-longer exists).

However, I think we're about done, it's either going to be the Simonton 7500's, or Anlin Coronado, either way the windows I think will look really good (One HELL of a lot better than the mold covered aluminum that is in the windows now)

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You are doing good and have done enough research to make an inforned buying decision.